longers, you might like this

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
today's bird spot. shortly after this it swooped to land about 10 feet away. i was so amazed i put the camera down to watch.

2385866158_ed03f5e0fd.jpg

L

longers

Legendary Member
Another good great photo.

Male Kestrel? Collins has pointed me that way (not good at identifying birds raptors myself).

I saw a pair last weekend trying to decide if a juvenile rabbit was big enough to carry off. They would fly over and hover a couple of feet above it and you could tell they were thinking hard about it, before flying off and then returning again. They repeated this a few times before giving up.

yup... a male kestrel

it kept hovering and swooping. i'm guessing it was feeding for two and it would scoot off and return a few minutes later. it even perched on the hide roof for a photo session...

2385879056_d3b8c38aa6.jpg

i was tempted to hold my arm out and hope that it would land

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Cool pics - saw a few 'kestrels' or similar on the Langsett to Strines road over in Derbyshire at the weekend - did think of you twitchers, but it was too bloody windy to stop for pics or I'd have got cold......

i can recognise kestrels.... so long as they hover. in flight it's harder to tell them and sparrowhawks apart (for me). it's pretty easy to get them mistaken for pigeons as they're a similar size.

bigger birds are easy to tell apart... you take a picture and look in the book when you get home!

that's if it isn't so cold your camera packs up.

Top Bottom