Look Keo Grip Cleats.....last 5 minutes max!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanW

Guru
I must admit that while the concept of the rubber inserts is a good idea, in practise I have found them less than robust to be honest.

I don't do a great deal of walking in mine, but I have experienced problems with the rubber insert either coming out, or worse still breaking.

To make matters worse, they have still not cured the dreaded creaking. Even the Keo II pedals with the stainless steel plates are no better. :ohmy:

martint235

Dog on a bike
I've been using Look Keo cleats for a while and I have had one break at the front but I assume that was just bad luck (the cleat was so new the rubber is still fully intact). However this thread made me start thinking, are SPD-SL's really that much better? The pedal doesn't look hugely different.

I then looked on Wiggle and found this:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Shimano_SPD_Road_Cleats/4000000887/

How on earth does this work????? :biggrin:

Chrisz

Über Member
The old SPD cleats were made of metal. They have a walking platform either side of the cleat itself (in rubber).

I used to find that they worked well but didn't offer as much support for the foot as the SPD-SL/Look style pedal which is why I changed (first to SPD-SL then Look).

Chrisz

Über Member
Mine get walked on between the house and the end of our drive (20ft) and between the front door of our office and the office itself - had them for a couple of months and already they look well worn :sad:

My old SPD-SLs lasted years.

I seriously believe that the resin/plastic they are made from os of a weaker substance than the Shimano ones (and I'm a Campag. man!!)

nmcgann

Veteran
The covers work for me, I never walk more than a few steps without them on and this means I get at least 9 months out of a set of keo cleats. I'm running a set of grip cleats on my winter shoes and a set of standard cleats on my summer/race shoes at the moment - both have lasted since last october when I replaced them.

The grip cleats do seem to be able to take more walking about, but they are a bit annoying as they can catch the pedal when clipping in, so aren't as slick to use.

Top Bottom