look keos

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
I use Keos. The only tip I can give you is practice, practice, practice. Try clipping in and out as much as you can stand whilst stationary leaning against a wall, then keep doing it whilst not looking down. It takes time, but it will become second nature eventually.

Point your foot down slightly and slide forward into the pedal before pressing down hard until it clicks. Try slackening off the tension to minimum until you get the hang of it.

I understand that Keos are not the easiest pedals to clip into, but they are very secure. (The SPD's on my tourer are infinitely easier to use, but I have on occasion pulled out of them).

gbb

Legendary Member
I've always had a spot of bother with the Keos, particually with one foot.
Luckily for me, the right goes in ok to set off, but once moving, i often struggle to get the left in.
Ive played with the tension, ive had a look at the cleats....can't see anything untoward.

I've kind of got used to it, but i'll watch this post with interest.

bottombracket

I fixed this before for someone...

His cleat(s) were 'angled' slightly wrong - not enough to be uncomfortable but enough to make clipping in difficult.

We sussed it by him clipping in and then removing his feet from the shoes, climbing off and inspecting how the shoe sat on the pedal.
The problem shoe sat at an odd angle... (different angle to how it was with feet in)

A slight tweak of the cleat angle sorted it out...

Give it a try, costs nothing.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Your not alone, I find them hard to clip into as well, I've got tension on minimum, tried to sit against a wall clipping and unclipping etc, but I'm not really feeling it, Im going to try an alternative because they put me of riding that bike! ATM I ride normal shoes on the pedals, not comfy but at least bike is used.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
I find them quite good, I think Gerry Attrick's comments about angling your feet down slightly really is important as well as checking that they are set up correctly acording to bottom bracket. I used to have Time RXS pedals and they were awful to clip in and out of - the Looks have larger platform area so are much easier to clip in on. I do find at times I may miss it but have just gotten into the habit of hovering over the plate and clippin in at a easier time ie a bit after moving off from a junction.

Practice does make a difference esp if you're new to the pedals.

redjedi

Über Member
I have days where I really struggle to clip in first time.

Don't try to do it too quickly, and use the side that's already clipped in to do all the work when setting off.

Top Bottom