Looking at getting a fixed/singlespeed bike on a budget

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JamesRandle_

Hi im looking to get a single speed or fixed bike to get around town on whilst at uni and i don't have much to spend (probably upto £200) so i thought it would be best to ask for recommendations for what would be a good buy and what to stay clear of.

I've found this bike for sale locally
$T2eC16F,!)sE9swm(uVnBSFOU3B,dQ~~60_12.JPG

its advertised as a raleigh flyer from the late 80s, i was wondering are these a decent bike or would this be one to steer clear of?

any advice would be greatly appreciated

thanks James

NotFabian

EACC
How much is it?

NotFabian

EACC
Last year I bought an old Raleigh road bike in good cond. with Reynolds tubing, it was still geared etc, I paid £55, and stripped it myself, bought a fixed/free rear wheel for £40 and now have a cracking fixed gear bike I use mostly for commuting.

So you don't necessarily have to spend much to get a decent end result.

just jim

I would haggle on that one. Downwards, to a price more realistic and to your budget. If it doesn't work out another steel frame will be along soon!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
That's bonkers. Those go on ebay all the time for well under £100. You're paying a big premium because someone's done the conversion for you. It's not hard to do it yourself. I'd do that, starting off with something with Reynolds 531 tubing, which will probably set you back something like £100 - £150. If you can't face it, then look on ebay, doing a search for something, say, within 25 miles of your postcode, then get there on the bus, or get a lift.

I really wouldn't buy that Raleigh. It's a bit of a clunker, and not worth anything like £200.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
OP
OP
J

JamesRandle_

cheers for the advice guys I'm going to head to a local bike shop tomorrow to see if they have any in stock :smile:

Top Bottom