Looking at getting an e bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jim55

Guru
Any I should look at? Its through Glasgow city council cycle to work scheme up to 1500 ,they do it through workplace bikes so Halfords and( they say) loads of others,tredz is in that list so I'd use them over Halfords,any models spring to mind,wil b used for commuting and gen use ( no downhi MTB required lol) does anybody know where I can find a list of retailers I can use as well 👍👍

Mike_P

Guru
How far are you commuting and are you using a rucksack or panniers (more upright riding position or not) could dictate what models to look for.

If it’s the Cycle2Work scheme administered by Halfords, I think that you can use any participating bike shop. When you get cooncil approval, you contact Halfords and they’ll make the voucher available to your preferred store.

I tried to go down this route but didn’t qualify as my own cooncil had put me on a temporary contract (newly-qualified teacher), despite hearing what a wonderful job we probationers had done in very difficult circumstances. They’ve now amended the contracts to permanent - but the scheme closes at the end of May and re-opens in September. I couldn’t wait that long so but the bullet and got my new bike today.

But don’t let my negative experience put you off - I understand that I was caught by a number of extreme circumstances and that, in a normal year, I’d have saved around £400 on the C2W scheme.

OP
OP
jim55

jim55

Guru
How far are you commuting and are you using a rucksack or panniers (more upright riding position or not) could dictate what models to look for.
I'd rather have a flat bar( got a flat bar gravel bike) I stay in a hilly area and some hills kill me ,I'm 52 so not getting / aiming to n a racing snake ,would just like a wee help on hill
Edit.
Seems it's only Halfords price wise ,all the better ones are at least 2300,Carrera crossfire it's looking like

Last edited:

jags

Guru
i went through all this bought a cube hated it sent it back .but i still needed a ebike to get me up hills,
i searched high and low with no luck ,
i spotted on utube the electric easi bike wheel so bought it and 500km later its fantastic ,i can get 60km no problem and that with some steep hills thrown in,best of all i use my own bike that fits me perfect .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzQYskMrdWU.

DRM

Guru
I'd rather have a flat bar( got a flat bar gravel bike) I stay in a hilly area and some hills kill me ,I'm 52 so not getting / aiming to n a racing snake ,would just like a wee help on hill
Edit.
Seems it's only Halfords price wise ,all the better ones are at least 2300,Carrera crossfire it's looking like
Seems like a good idea to me, at least with Halfords you can go see them in the flesh so to speak, and a bit of assistance up hills is a good idea when going to work.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
How about getting a conversion kit for your flat bar gravel bike for an economy option? Or get a used hybrid and convert that. Just a thought.
Sorry just seen @jags post.

OP
OP
jim55

jim55

Guru
i went through all this bought a cube hated it sent it back .but i still needed a ebike to get me up hills,
i searched high and low with no luck ,
i spotted on utube the electric easi bike wheel so bought it and 500km later its fantastic ,i can get 60km no problem and that with some steep hills thrown in,best of all i use my own bike that fits me perfect .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzQYskMrdWU.
This kit looks great,bit does it only assist when ur either holding thumb throttle in or pressing boost on phone ?i.e is it pedal assis as well ,how does it know your pedalling ,there's no sensor on crank eh

jags

Guru
This kit looks great,bit does it only assist when ur either holding thumb throttle in or pressing boost on phone ?i.e is it pedal assis as well ,how does it know your pedalling ,there's no sensor on crank eh
jim55 its pedal assist ,when i get to steep climb i go to 60 or 70% it will take me to top no problem im still peddling i never use thumb trottle but its handy if you stop on a hill and take off again lol.so far im delighted with it .the wheel is well built good spokes and rim hub is very neat ,the battery is also neat but paint is thin so cage scrapes paint off no big deal ,it takes 2 to 3 hours to charge from 1 bar to 5 bars .my longest spin with loads hills and headwind was 55 km i still had plenty left in battery .oh i use drop bars thought that was going to be a problem but the extension they give is spot on .no idea how to post photos of my bike but im a happy camper.

jags

Guru
How about getting a conversion kit for your flat bar gravel bike for an economy option? Or get a used hybrid and convert that. Just a thought.
Sorry just seen @jags post.
yes the way to go for sure .im a roadie all my life had to pack in cycling because of my aching back,but when i bought the new cube ebike man i knew straight away id never ride it so converted my boardman great job so far so good the boardman with all the kit weights 16kl not bad for a good ebike that fits .700x28 wheels tyres.

jags

Guru
IMG_20210621_140924.jpg

blackdiamond

You may struggle a bit for electric on Cyclescheme. There’s a limited choice and availability at that price point.
The retailer has to pay 10% or so, so they’re reluctant to provide Cyclescheme on any discounted bikes.

If you have the option for cash it’s well worth looking around you may get lucky and find a discounted bike that offers similar value to Cyclescheme benefit. I managed almost £1,000 off a previous year model.

Alternatively, watch eBay, Gumtree, etc. A friend recently managed to get a nice less than year old Haibike for £1,500, (and in Glasgow).

Finally, if you know someone with a card, Costco does have ebikes around the price point from time to time. Quick look and they have a “Vitesse Beacon” at £1,200 at the moment. It looks like a hub drive so probably not as good as a centre drive (like Haibike). Hubs sometimes suffer on Glasgow’s and surrounding hills- but it’s probably fine.

Top Bottom