Looking at getting into Cyclocross

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

drhill77

Regular
Hi, i'm looking at getting into cyclocross and i have been looking at the Boardman CX Team Bike, would you recommend this bike or would you suggest something else around the same sort of price?

Hi, i'm looking at getting into cyclocross and i have been looking at the Boardman CX Team Bike, would you recommend this bike or would you suggest something else around the same sort of price?
It's a cracking CX bike, for the price. If you have a British Cycling membership, it's even better, look for any 'Quidco' type discount codes, and it's daylight robbery.

outlash

also available in orange
Looks nice and good value but I'm not sure a 'fully UCI legal' 'cross bike would have compact chainrings over CX rings. Not a biggie though, they're easily changed.

Citius

Looks nice and good value but I'm not sure a 'fully UCI legal' 'cross bike would have compact chainrings over CX rings. Not a biggie though, they're easily changed

Gearing choice is free in competition, so whatever gearing it comes with has no impact on its legality.

Thanks roadkill, so for a bike to start with then this would be the best one to go for??
Yep, a pretty solid starter CX.

Citius

Not sure I understand. Most competition bikes will have compact chainsets. 46/36 or 44/34, etc - rarely any bigger than that. I still run 42/34 on mine.

ayceejay

Guru
Before you commit yourself to the Boardman, which is specced for the trendy 'CX' market rather than cyclocross racing have a look at what Planet X have to offer.

Citius

Before you commit yourself to the Boardman, which is specced for the trendy 'CX' market rather than cyclocross racing have a look at what Planet X have to offer.

What nonsense. The Boardman is a race-ready CXer. Plenty of them racing in leagues all over the UK. Why do you say it is specced for a 'trendy' market?

OP
OP
drhill77

drhill77

Regular
Thanks for all the comments, checked Planet X and the cheapest one they do is £900 which is £250 more than the boardman which as other people have said is a good starting point. I know there are better bikes out there but as per anything there is always something better if you have the money to pay for it. I think I will go for this one to start with and take it from there.

Top Bottom