Looking at new backpacks???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi guys, I've had this Vaude for five years now
gube7yty.jpg

and though its performing really well the waterproof cover is getting poor, clearly letting the internals get moist today in this horrible crap weather.

So thinking of using it for the summer (is there such a thing now!) only and get a winter/wet back pack.

Looking for any recommendations, it's only a small one, enough for my lunch and some odds and sods for the daily commute.

Thanks in advance

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
You could probably replace the cover?

I've had my Vaude for years but mainly use it off the bike now.

If you're looking for something truly waterproof, I can recommend and ortleib backpack but the one I have (again- use mainly off the bike as I don;t like having stuff on my back anymore when on the bike) is HUGE!

Norm

Up to a point, yes. If I put out there that one of the side effects of me 'riding hot' is that I can sweat at the drop of a coin, the Lowe rucksack doesn't make me sweatier - for example, when I got home this evening, the front of my shirt was nearly as bad as the back under the rucksack. There is only so much that the Airzone can provide. ;)

mrmacmusic

Veteran
I recently purchased a Vaude Alpin 25+5, and whilst I'm very happy with my choice and it's working perfectly for me, the rain cover doesn't protect the bag as adequately as I thought it would. Perhaps we have different rain up here in Central Scotland:huh: , but I had a couple of "proper wet" commutes last week – i.e. 55 minutes sustained rain – and whilst the contents were dry, the rucksack fabric itself felt damp.

I've been thinking about getting one of the hi-viz "Hump" style rucksack covers. They're supposedly 100% waterproof with taped seams etc, but the big bonus – especially for winter commuting – is the increased rear visibility. At under £20 for (presumably) better waterproofing and the increased visibility, perhaps it's worth considering?

Alternatively, if your Vaude is under 15L you might consider subscribing to Cycling Active – I noticed they're currently offering a free Night Vision jacket and waterproof hi-viz LED rucksack cover with subscriptions :thumbsup:

Nocode

I've got an Osprey Escapist 25L which also has a built-in raincover - but I'd much rather use my hi-viz Hump cover. The material the Hump cover feels/looks more durable and I suspect is more waterproof (I haven't compared both in heavy rain) - it's certainly thicker.

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Hey that's a great help thanks, had seen the hump covers and wondered if they were any good, cheers.
No worries – I know people have very polarised opinions when it comes to hi-viz kit, but if you're commuting in the dark winter months on main roads (as I am) I reckon anything that improves visibility from the rear is worthwhile, and the waterproofing is a bonus.

I've got an Osprey Escapist 25L which also has a built-in raincover - but I'd much rather use my hi-viz Hump cover. The material the Hump cover feels/looks more durable and I suspect is more waterproof (I haven't compared both in heavy rain) - it's certainly thicker.

I was going to mention Osprey's. Definitely look at them.

jaynana

All, i'm reserrecting this thread as i'm looking for a backpack,

Panniers are a NO NO, so lets not go there, i want a backpack. i commute 25miles per day, upto 5 days a week.

here are the features i'm looking for:
- well ventilated back - issue i'm trying to sort out is my sweating back (but no panners pls!)
- need to be able to carry a laptop - so a seperator for alaptop is a necessity
- one change of clothes (basically work clothes, minus suite)
- reasonably water proof with a waterproof cover or well water proofed.

i've looked at Vaude, Lowe Alpine, Osprey

my thinking so far - Ospray. I thought i also saw the laptop option with Osprey but weirdly - i can't seem to find it again!

can you recommend what is best please, along with which size, specific model if you can?

thank you very much

cheers

vickster

Legendary Member
I have a deuter. Perhaps look at their range too

I don't use it much now since discovering the wonder of panniers ;). I don't like having a lot if weight on my back in case of a tumble!

gavintc

Guru
I have a deuter. Perhaps look at their range too

I don't use it much now since discovering the wonder of panniers ;). I don't like having a lot if weight on my back in case of a tumble!

I have a deuter - pretty good and certainly big enough to carry the essentials for a commute. My 25 litre version came with a waterproof cover, but I have changed it for a reflective one. I like the air gap between the back and the pack.

Top Bottom