Looking for 3 wheel,because of age and some balance issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
Don't have any recommendations myself. I do have a tandem trike which occasionally sees the light of day. They are fun once you master the steering.
To help others advise - what sort of usage are you intending? Long rides/short rides etc.
Hope you find one.

Is this for an upright or recumbent style trike?
Recumbents are naturally stable with a low centre of gravity. Upright trikes do not ride like bikes, which steer by leaning and balance by steering. Trikes balance by balancing and steer by steering. At low speed this makes little difference but there is a style of lightweight tour/race trike that can be ridden at speed where the differences can matter.

OP
OP
G

Geo1948

Don't have any recommendations myself. I do have a tandem trike which occasionally sees the light of day. They are fun once you master the steering.
To help others advise - what sort of usage are you intending? Long rides/short rides etc.
Hope you find one.
Mostly use to get out for exercise and to ride some of the bike trails close by

Sharky

Guru
Not sure if trikes and trails are a good combination. Others will advise. Around our way, there is a good cycle trail/path that runs parallel to the A2. But they have put up barriers to stop cars getting thru and bikes can easily get thru, but a trike would be too wide and would have to be lifted over. Not easy.
But good luck with whatever you decide upon.

byegad

Legendary Member
I'm on my 2nd and 3rd recumbent trikes. While you can lift a wheel, you have to very over enthusiastic, to do so. I developed a mild, intermittent balance issue 12 yrs ago, so am a 100% a recumbent trike rider since then. My one try on an upright trike some 25 yrs ago saw me tip it over at little more than walking pace.
You can jump onto a recumbent trike and ride it safely immediately.

byegad

Legendary Member
I saw from close behind an incident.
An experienced rider dump his Newton (upright 2 wheels at front) trike into the hedge on a straight descent. At the time I'd caught him easily on my tadpole (2 wheels at the front) recumbent trike. He braked, he must have been doing 25mph, one of his front wheels locked on some gravel in the centre of the road, and that was it he went over the top as the trike hit the hedge. I stopped immediately to help, one of my front wheels locking on the same gravel and I hopped off to help him.
The difference? My backside was 8" off the road and his was at normal upright bike height and my trike has independent front brakes, his had linked. So when his front left locked he turned hard and had to release both brakes, and was then too late in getting his brakes back on. When mine locked I automatically released the left brake keeping the right hard on, then reapplied it. I pulled up safely, he went right into the hedge.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
It's worth mentioning that a recumbent trike of good quality is going to cost at least double that of an upright. Some might say that is worth it, some might say they cant afford it. There is the used market of course but the prices tend to hold pretty high with recumbents still.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
So when his front left locked he turned hard and had to release both brakes, and was then too late in getting his brakes back on. When mine locked I automatically released the left brake keeping the right hard on, then reapplied it. I pulled up safely, he went right into the hedge.

Why was he doing 25 mph then? Obviously excessive speed. Cyclists are the first ones to moan about motorists that drive fast, but they are actually the worst offenders for doing excessively fast descents then wondering why they crash when they encounter loose gravel etc, especially on a bend! :wacko:

byegad

Legendary Member
It's worth mentioning that a recumbent trike of good quality is going to cost at least double that of an upright. Some might say that is worth it, some might say they cant afford it. There is the used market of course but the prices tend to hold pretty high with recumbents still.
I have been known to let people try mine. The ear-to-ear grin when they come back says it all. Beware recumbent trikes are as addictive as heroin.

Top Bottom