Looking for a bike for day rides, commuting, possible touring - what materials/styles are recommended?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lehcar

I'm looking for a new bike and am not sure where to start. Right now I ride a georgena terry road bike, and while I love this bike I'm feeling like it's actually too small for me and it feels a bit heavy. I would like something that feels speedier for day rides but that also has the potential to attach a rack and panniers to for overnight trips.

Searching online has left me confused - maybe what I am looking for is not possible in one bike? Could a lighter road bike be okay for a bit of touring even though that's not really what's recommended? I'm a pretty casual biker and don't know a ton about the technical details so any advice about general styles/materials would be helpful, or specific models. I'm looking at used bikes and would love to pay under $600 if possible, but any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

froze

Über Member
$600 isn't going to buy you a very lightweight bike, in fact, spending that kind of money will either get you a bike as heavy as what you now have or heavier. That brand you have is a nice brand of bike, and it's custom-made, why you would want to replace it is beyond me. If you feel it fits funny then go get a fitter to make it work for you. But since that bike was custom made they took all the measurements you gave them and made it to fit you, so it should be spot on, so something as simple as changing the stem length, or moving the saddle forwards or backward or higher or lower might make it feel better. So get fitted, spend some of that $600 on that instead of another bike.

Weight is not a big deal when it comes to bike performance. Instead, focus on factors like tire choice and frame construction. $600 or less can buy you a nice vintage touring bike that was lightly used, but you'll have to research to find out what the best ones were. but something like a Schwinn Voyageur or Voyageur SP around the mid-80s were fantastic touring bikes.

The bike you have now is fine, what you should consider doing is looking into a new set of wheels and tires, and possibly upgrading a component or two...OR, keep saving money and just buy a pair of nice lightweight tires that roll fast, plus a pair of 65-gram butyl tubes, or latex tubes if you're ok with using those. Then save up money for a period of time till you get to around $2,000 or so saved, but even that amount will not surpass what you bought, but you could find a decent touring bike.

I'm partial towards Vittoria tires, you would be surprised as to how well a pair of Corsa series of tires will feel on your bike, but don't buy them unless they're on sale, I see Vittoria tires all the time on sale for about 40 to 50 percent off, that's when I buy them. September and October is when road tires go on sale and closeout sales, but you have to be fast because they have limited stock, and when they're gone, they're gone. For example, last year I bought 2 pairs of Vittoria Open Pave CG III for $80 total, that's $20 each, they sold for $80 each, but I got a huge closeout sale and was lucky I found them when I did. The tire that replaced the Open Pave that I got is the Corsa Pro Tubeless Ready, which means since it is tubeless it will be a pain to put on, but since it uses 320tpi of cotton and a Kevlar belt for flat protection it rides darn near like a tubular tire especially when used with a latex tube.

I also wouldn't upgrade components unless one broke, you know the old saying, if it ain't broke don't fix it!

There is another option, you can change the bike you have for medium or lighter touring, they have special panniers that fit on bikes without bosses for panners, but it will take some research. Or you can buy a lightweight pull-behind trailer, again research will be needed to choose the right one for you.

Keep in mind that touring with a load is difficult, and you said you're a casual rider, you will need to change that to being an everyday rider and riding 40 to 60 miles a day because remember, when touring you're carrying an extra 60 pounds or so of gear, food, and water, and doing so every day averaging 40 to 60 miles a day, and that weight becomes a burden if you're not prepared for it. Or you could also do credit card touring where you don't take much with you, some basics, some clothes, sleep in motels and eating in restaurants. Research the different ways to tour. Research camping gear too. I had to do all of that myself when I decided to do loaded touring, even after a lot of research I had to make a few minor changes but thankfully it didn't cost much. And always start out with the least amount of gear you think you need, you can always add something later, but if you start out with too much then you spent money on stuff you didn't need, and then either throw it out on a tour or send it home, most new to any type of backpacking or bike packing overbuy.

Last edited:
I'm looking for a new bike and am not sure where to start. Right now I ride a georgena terry road bike, and while I love this bike I'm feeling like it's actually too small for me and it feels a bit heavy. I would like something that feels speedier for day rides but that also has the potential to attach a rack and panniers to for overnight trips.

Searching online has left me confused - maybe what I am looking for is not possible in one bike? Could a lighter road bike be okay for a bit of touring even though that's not really what's recommended? I'm a pretty casual biker and don't know a ton about the technical details so any advice about general styles/materials would be helpful, or specific models. I'm looking at used bikes and would love to pay under $600 if possible, but any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!
Sorry, there's nowhere near enough information here.
What kind of a day rider are you? How far? How often? Performance oriented?

How far will you commute? In all weathers? On what surfaces? What will you be bringing with you? Most commuters will want mudguards and the ability to carry clothing/laptop. Possibly tougher less performance oriented tyres.

What kind of touring do you anticipate? (Bear in mind that it can often change). What distances? Daily distance? Elevation? (Think gearing) Camping/Motels? Public transport? Load? Weather & climate? Some people strap on bikepacking gear to road bikes and travel very, very light. Others go for a heavier load and/or an ability to mix surfaces with ease. For those people many of the things that make a bike lighter and faster are the things that will hinder weight and/or surface options.

As for a lighter bike? Most of us could lose a kg or two. Much more beneficial (and cheaper) to shave it off ourselves than a bike. Especially at your budget price point.

As for the size, if you put up some basic geometry specs and some personal measurements there are a few on here who can advise.
Keep in mind that touring with a load is difficult, and you said you're a casual rider, you will need to change that to being an everyday rider and riding 40 to 60 miles a day because remember, when touring you're carrying an extra 60 pounds or so of gear, food, and water, and doing so every day averaging 40 to 60 miles a day, and that weight becomes a burden if you're not prepared for it.
There are no rules for 'touring', whatever that is. Some of my best days 'touring' have been less than 10km! There are a variety of options between credit card and 60lb loads. Even for the same person.
I've carried significantly more than 60lb and that gear is what gives me the freedom to go where I want and sleep where I want. Not a burden at all.

Unless the OP wants to spend a lot more than $600 they should do some serious thinking about what they want to do and how they want to do it.
There's a very good argument that the best bike to go on tour on is the bike we already have. That way, we can learn so much and when we do spend some money spend it more wisely.

Top Bottom