Looking for a decent and affordable cross bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EasyCrank

Über Member
Wow, well I used to be a regular here but haven't logged in in almost 5 years!

I'm looking to buy a new bike and think a cyclocross is the way forwards. A commuter/city bike with the versatility of a bit of off-roading and gravel tracks if needs be.

The problem is my budget. Really I can't stretch over £500 and definitely not over £600.

I was in GoOutdoors today for a different reason but noticed this on sale which from what I can tell, actually seems a great deal. Does anyone have any experience with this bike or can anyone recommend any other similar bikes in this price range?

Thanks all!

wonderloaf

Veteran

vickster

Legendary Member
Looks well specced other than the brakes which I believe are pretty ropey. That said for under £100 you could upgrade to TRP Spyres

Have you considered 2nd hand?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Sounds like a good deal for the money. Go for it. I've got some cheap Tektro discs on my adventure bike and while perhaps not the best I wouldn't call them ropey.

vickster

Legendary Member
Sounds like a good deal for the money. Go for it. I've got some cheap Tektro discs on my adventure bike and while perhaps not the best I wouldn't call them ropey.
Not the best on a piece of safety critical equipment is the definition of ropey imo. Fair enough for something like a derailleur but not brakes

Siclo

Veteran
I managed to put together a 105 equipped Planet X London Road for £620 this time last year although the bars, saddle and stem were rescued from a dead bike. I think you'd struggle to do it now since the groupset seems to have gone up £80 in that time. On the calibre be aware that the latest 10 speed Tiagra is a bit of an orphan groupset, it's got a different pull ratio to the rest of the 10 speed range so other 10 speed mech's and levers (105/Ultegra) are not cross compatible.

wonderloaf

Veteran
On the calibre be aware that the latest 10 speed Tiagra is a bit of an orphan groupset, it's got a different pull ratio to the rest of the 10 speed range so other 10 speed mech's and levers (105/Ultegra) are not cross compatible.

I think the Calibre Dark Peak has the old Tiagra groupset as the cables come sideways out of the shifter, the latest Tiagra 4700 has the cable under the bar tape.

FWIW I've had a Calibre road bike for the last 3 years and use it in the winter, no complaints about the build quality although I have replaced a few things over the years! I believe their MTB's are quite well regarded as well.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Pinnacle Arkose is worth a look. I picked up a used one as a winter bike. They do /did a version with Tpr hydro disks and 1x chainring which is have and great vfm. Uses a bar end shifter to get around the fact the Tpr levers are not brifters.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
boardman cx comp is worth a look too.

i've got one and, even with the milage i do, it's going pretty well…

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bik...oardman-cx-comp-bike-50-53-55-5-57-5cm-frames

Top Bottom