Looking for a new, single speed, bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

format

Über Member
Hi Cycle Chat.

For years I've been riding a mtb in town but after having a shot on my friends single speed bike last week I've realised how inefficient they are for city riding.

I'm also sick of the amount of maintenance I've had to carry out on the gears and other parts so I'm looking for something that suits city commuting and won't need much maintenance.

I'm 6ft 4 so iirc I'd need a 21" + bike, is that right?

I'm not big on the fixed wheel design, I'd rather be able to freewheel when I want to.

Another requirement is that the bike is able to take mudguards - with the amount of rain around here I don't fancy having a wet arse sitting through my lectures.

My budget is around £300, although I could go a little over if there is a particular bike or if my budget expectations are a little unrealistic.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :biggrin:

I'm Glasgow based btw so would need to be reasonably local or a shop that would deliver.

Thanks!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Can you get to, or bear to enter, an Edinburgh Bicycle Coop shop? If so go take a look at their Track 10 model. Good value for money and the largest size should fit you okay. If you search Revolution Track 10 in here you'll find a thread or two. The fork is a bit heavy (Hi-Ten steel) and if well built you'll find the bars a bit narrow, but as a package it works. (I've got one)

budget about £25 for a replacement freewheel, you might find it a little over geared as is

OP
OP
F

format

Über Member
GregCollins said:
Can you get to, or bear to enter, an Edinburgh Bicycle Coop shop? If so go take a look at their Track 10 model. Good value for money and the largest size should fit you okay. If you search Revolution Track 10 in here you'll find a thread or two. The fork is a bit heavy (Hi-Ten steel) and if well built you'll find the bars a bit narrow, but as a package it works. (I've got one)

budget about £25 for a replacement freewheel, you might find it a little over geared as is

Thanks for the quick reply :biggrin:

I saw this one but was put off by the fixed wheel - http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebw...3&f_SortOrderID=1&f_bct=c003155c018333c018338

Would it be worth buying that and putting a freewheel on it so I can coast?

bauldbairn

format said:
Would it be worth buying that and putting a freewheel on it so I can coast?

I believe it has both fixed and single speed - flip flop hub means a gear on each side of the rear wheel which you turn around(flip) for fixed or single speed riding! :smile:

Single speed = freewheel riding.
Fixed = non-freewheel riding.

Also Gregs "Revolution Track 10" is on that site too(also flip flop hub I believe) - for £299. This will come down to £255 in the next EBC sale, due soon! :biggrin:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Both the courier and track 10 have flip flop hubs on the rear wheel meaning fixed gear on one side and freewheel on the other; same size cog in both cases and they are usually shipped out in freewheel mode.

The Track 10 will take a full 'proper' mudguard on the rear but NOT on the front. However Crud Roadracers will fit front and rear and look the business and do a very good job. I've used them for a while and have not got a wet r's, or a wet B17 either, as a result.

OP
OP
F

format

Über Member
bauldbairn said:
I believe it has both fixed and single speed - flip flop hub means a gear on each side of the rear wheel which you turn around(flip) for fixed or single speed riding! :ohmy:

Single speed = freewheel riding.
Fixed = non-freewheel riding.

Also Gregs "Revolution Track 10" is on that site too(also flip flop hub I believe) - for £299. This will come down to £255 in the next EBC sale, due soon! ;)

Oh, nice! Don't know how I didn't spot that.

Think I'll go for this one then, £225 is a very nice price, especially for a poor student like myself.

OP
OP
F

format

Über Member
GregCollins said:
Both the courier and track 10 have flip flop hubs on the rear wheel meaning fixed gear on one side and freewheel on the other; same size cog in both cases and they are usually shipped out in freewheel mode.

The Track 10 will take a full 'proper' mudguard on the rear but NOT on the front. However Crud Roadracers will fit front and rear and look the business and do a very good job. I've used them for a while and have not got a wet r's, or a wet B17 either, as a result.

Will the courier take a Crud Roadracer front and rear? That's certainly what I'm leaning towards.

I really appreciate all the help you guys are giving ;)

bauldbairn

format said:
Will the courier take a Crud Roadracer front and rear? That's certainly what I'm leaning towards.;)

I believe the "Courier" will take full mudguards - it has all the holes/space etc. I have the "Courier Classic" which I use as a commuter and believe is the same frame. :ohmy:

battered

Guru
You're a student and you want a new new bike? If you are shopping for a singly the papers are full of bikes that the fashion victims bought last year and have given up on 'cos these singlies look really cool but they're really hard work, I mean you sweat *all the time*. It's just not cool, besides I've seen all sorts of people on single speeds recently, it's just gone mainstream now.

Get yourself on Gumtree for something lightly used at half its new price. G'wan...

OP
OP
F

format

Über Member
battered said:
You're a student and you want a new new bike? If you are shopping for a singly the papers are full of bikes that the fashion victims bought last year and have given up on 'cos these singlies look really cool but they're really hard work, I mean you sweat *all the time*. It's just not cool, besides I've seen all sorts of people on single speeds recently, it's just gone mainstream now.

Get yourself on Gumtree for something lightly used at half its new price. G'wan...

Aye I fancy a new bike because I want a bike that just works and is not high maintenance.
Summer time is the only time I can afford it because I've got time to work a full time job. I'll have a look on Gumtree regardless.

As for being hardwork - I used to cycle a 10 mile round commute to work 6 days a week, the first leg of which was a long, fairly steep climb ( riding home was always fun). All this on a crap £95 full suspension (ew) bike which was possibly the most inefficient thing I've ever seen.
I expect to sweat loads regardless B)

crumpetman

I really like my single speed bike and bought it for the same reasons you are looking for one. It is easy to maintain, it is a lot lighter and easier to ride than a similarly priced mountain bike.

I never seem to see any proper road cyclists on my commute but I fly past all the people on mountain bikes and I attribute that almost solely to the fact that my bike is better suited to the task than theirs.

Get one with a flip-flop hub and try it fixed first if you can. You can always change it to free later if you don't get on with it. I had mine on free for a year and only recently changed to fixed and I wish I had done it from the start.

OP
OP
F

format

Über Member
crumpetman said:
I really like my single speed bike and bought it for the same reasons you are looking for one. It is easy to maintain, it is a lot lighter and easier to ride than a similarly priced mountain bike.

I never seem to see any proper road cyclists on my commute but I fly past all the people on mountain bikes and I attribute that almost solely to the fact that my bike is better suited to the task than theirs.

Get one with a flip-flop hub and try it fixed first if you can. You can always change it to free later if you don't get on with it. I had mine on free for a year and only recently changed to fixed and I wish I had done it from the start.

I'll give it a shot but I love coasting down hills so I can't see me wanting to change it ;)

Coco

format said:
I'll give it a shot but I love coasting down hills so I can't see me wanting to change it :sad:

I used to think that too. But pedalling down hills is much more fun;)

PpPete

Legendary Member
I built up a fixed from otherwise unused / unuseable / free / fleabay parts. Yes I miss not freewheeling down hills but I would never change back to single speed now.

Top Bottom