Looking for a single speed commuter bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paulcoquelin

Hi everyone!

I'm opening this topic because I'm looking for an easy/solid light weight bike to commute in Paris (and short suburbs) almost everyday.
I used to ride a fixed B. Carré for few years and I loved it.
This time I'm looking for something more modern, single speed with 2 brakes and I will probably take a right handlebar to have a more straight posture. (It's nice to be able to slow down after a long day of work :smile: ).
I definitely don't want the fastest, just something strong enough / good looking to ride everyday and be able to ride with pleasure :smile:

My budget is around 500€.

I saw this offer on craiglist (for around 400euro) and It looked pretty nice, I'd be happy to have your opinion on it:

- Dolan FXE aluminium frame with carbon Alpina fork
- Wheels Rigida
- Hubs Sturmey Archer 36 holes
- Gear wheel factory 5 & Miche (ratio 49:17)
- Crankset Miche Primato
- Tires Continental ultra sport
- Stem cinelli Vai
- Saddle fizik Arione
- Brake Miche

Capture d’écran 2020-05-07 à 19.12.48.png

Capture d’écran 2020-05-07 à 19.12.36.png

I'm open for other propositions and would be happy to ear about new recommandations/brands :smile:
Thank you!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Just get an old steel frame and build one your self much more fun .

NotAsGoodAsMyBike

That’s a nice bike. If it fits and is in decent condition, I can’t see much wrong with it as a choice. For a more knowledgeable insight though, you might want to go to LFGSS forums (London Fixed Gear Single Speed) - not everyone there is based in London but a lot ride fixed gear.

Ian

OP
OP
paulcoquelin

paulcoquelin

That’s a nice bike. If it fits and is in decent condition, I can’t see much wrong with it as a choice. For a more knowledgeable insight though, you might want to go to LFGSS forums (London Fixed Gear Single Speed) - not everyone there is based in London but a lot ride fixed gear.

Ian

Thanks Ian I would look at it!

and thanks for the advices,
I think I'm not enough an expert to build my own bike and another aspect is time: my need of a bike is quite urgent.
Maybe the solution is to buy an old bike and custom it slowly. (I imagine the frame is the most important part as it is the base).
Any recommandations on good second hand brands ?
The dolan frame I showed is not worth it?

Cheers for the help guys

JPBoothy

Veteran
Thanks Ian I would look at it!

and thanks for the advices,
I think I'm not enough an expert to build my own bike and another aspect is time: my need of a bike is quite urgent.
Maybe the solution is to buy an old bike and custom it slowly. (I imagine the frame is the most important part as it is the base).
Any recommandations on good second hand brands ?
The dolan frame I showed is not worth it?

Cheers for the help guys
The welding on the Dolan Fixie/Track Aluminium frame looks a little bit too industrial IMO and a nice Steel SS frame always seems to be more classy.. Although, perhaps if it is possibly going to be locked-up occasionally in a big city such as Paris then anything that looks too nice may draw some unwanted attention. I have a 5yr old Steel Genesis Flyer and the welds on the Steel frame are so smooth and neat but, I have noticed that on the current Steel frames that standard has slipped a bit. Genesis made some nice colours on their older Flyer range if you are happy to not buy new.

Top Bottom