Looking for a Sun Super 5

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim330

Hi, hope this is the right place to post this query, apologies if not.

I'm interested in getting a Sun Super 5, as it was the first decent bike I had as a teenager back in the mid-Eighties. I saw one recently for sale on a vintage bike website, but was out of the country and missed the bid.

Could forum users help me out with a few questions?
Is this a bike that's easy to find or are there not many left? At 5'10, I'd also guess I'm looking at a 23" inch frame or thereabout?
I'm mainly interested in getting one for nostalgia, as I rode mine everywhere as a teenager until I outgrew it. As I use a mountain bike most of the time now, I thought this might be an interesting project, which could be used for occasional rides.

I can't really remember much about the bike, other than that it was heavy, which I wonder if I could offset by using lighter wheels?

Any advice or history would be welcomed, as I can't find much about them.

OP
OP
Tim330

Tim330

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-...489614?hash=item33d832080e:g:CjIAAOSwk~NZ2OxN
This was a similar colour to mine, but unfortunately the frame is too small.

Richard dickson

Regular

I'm interested in getting a Sun Super 5, as it was the first decent bike I had as a teenager back in the mid-Eighties. I saw one recently for sale on a vintage bike website, but was out of the country and missed the bid.

Is this a bike that's easy to find or are there not many left? At 5'10, I'd also guess I'm looking at a 23" inch frame or thereabout?
I'm mainly interested in getting one for nostalgia, as I rode mine everywhere as a teenager until I outgrew it. As I use a mountain bike most of the time now, I thought this might be an interesting project, which could be used for occasional rides.

I can't really remember much about the bike, other than that it was heavy, which I wonder if I could offset by using lighter wheels?

Hi I am 5ft 9 ins tall. And have been lucky to find a 23" sun snipe frame . It's a load of fun finding all the bit to go with it.
But can be a nightmare! My advice is go for a complete bike and only change the bits you don't like.
Then you will have a potential Erocia eligible bike . Erocia is the cycling festival held in the peak District each June. It started in Italy 21 years ago and is now a global event. Steel frames rule.

Richard dickson

Regular

Stevevw is or was selling a sun club model .
Hi I am 5ft 9 ins tall. And have been lucky to find a 23" sun snipe frame . It's a load of fun finding all the bit to go with it.
But can be a nightmare! My advice is go for a complete bike and only change the bits you don't like.
Then you will have a potential Erocia eligible bike . Erocia is the cycling festival held in the peak District each June. It started in Italy 21 years ago and is now a global event. Steel frames rule.
Steve vw is or was selling a sun club model

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Stevevw is or was selling a sun club model .

Steve vw is or was selling a sun club model

is he ?

My little brother sold mine when I went to Uni'

First I heard about it was when I came home on vacation and found it was missing from the shed.

:cry:

OP
OP
Tim330

Tim330

I'll drop him a line. The Eroica is not far from me either. I regularly use the trails round there with the family.

Last edited:
Top Bottom