Looking for a weekend / short ride bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
S

Shoxt3r

Would have thought so, but only really need knobblies for mud. If the going is relatively firm, the fitted tyres will probably suffice.

Great! Well I took the bike out for its first ride over the weekend on gravel tracks and grass and it seemed to cope just fine with the standard tyres so will hold off on getting some knobblies haha.

Factory fitted tyres are a movable feast, so the first step is to see what the bike turns up with.

The shallow tread tyres in the pics on the website would be fine for fairly dry forest tracks and even light mud.

As said, knobblies are really only needed for properly muddy conditions which you are unlikely to encounter at this time of year.

You could buy a pair a bit later, whack them on for the winter months and go back to the shallow tread tyres next spring.

Cool, thanks for the tip!

As I say I took the bike out for its first run - I did notice, however that gears 13, 14 and 15 would change and then every so often "clunk", presumably as the cogs were turning to a certain point. I've had it on previous bikes - is this something I can easily fix myself or would it be best to head back to Halfords for them to take a look? It appeared to do it on both the upward and downward change.

Overall though I'm really pleased with the bike and it felt great to get out on a bike again!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Great! Well I took the bike out for its first ride over the weekend on gravel tracks and grass and it seemed to cope just fine with the standard tyres so will hold off on getting some knobblies haha.

Cool, thanks for the tip!

As I say I took the bike out for its first run - I did notice, however that gears 13, 14 and 15 would change and then every so often "clunk", presumably as the cogs were turning to a certain point. I've had it on previous bikes - is this something I can easily fix myself or would it be best to head back to Halfords for them to take a look? It appeared to do it on both the upward and downward change.

Overall though I'm really pleased with the bike and it felt great to get out on a bike again!

Presumably by '13, 14, and 15' you mean the higher/faster gears - big cog at the front and smaller cogs at the back.

Those gears ought to change smoothly, but there's always a settling in period with a new bike, so it's worth doing some more miles to see if the problem persists.

Have Halfords offered you a free check over after about six weeks?

Most bike shops do.

If the gear problem hasn't cured itself by then, the check over would be a good time to get it sorted.

Plenty of instruction videos online if you want to do it yourself, but as you will see if you check a video, you ideally need the bike held off the ground on a work stand.

Always good to learn, but I think on this occasion it's one for the shop.

OP
OP
S

Shoxt3r

Presumably by '13, 14, and 15' you mean the higher/faster gears - big cog at the front and smaller cogs at the back.

Those gears ought to change smoothly, but there's always a settling in period with a new bike, so it's worth doing some more miles to see if the problem persists.

Have Halfords offered you a free check over after about six weeks?

Most bike shops do.

If the gear problem hasn't cured itself by then, the check over would be a good time to get it sorted.

Plenty of instruction videos online if you want to do it yourself, but as you will see if you check a video, you ideally need the bike held off the ground on a work stand.

Always good to learn, but I think on this occasion it's one for the shop.

Ok thanks! Going by the website they give "Lifetime Free Checks" but I think if there's an issue they need to actually fix, I guess I'll need to get over there in the next couple of weeks (i.e. within the standard 30 days warranty). They do say that if there's a manufacturer defect they'll replace it for free for the lifetime of the bike.

I'm due to head out again on Wednesday so I'll see how it goes and then maybe ride it straight over to the shop if there's still a problem.

Top Bottom