Looking for advanced cycling maintenance book

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Susievintage

I am looking for an advanced cycle maintenance book for my husband. He is an an engineer with forty years of bike maintenance under his belt, but in the new year he is taking possession of a bike with Rohloff gears, disc brakes and suspension - all of which he will be maintaining for the first time.

Can anyone recommend an advanced cycle maintenance book that I could buy for him to cover these advanced tasks?

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've got a VERY advanced book at home; I don't understand some of it! Will write myself a reminder to check tonight and give you the details.

Meanwhile, has he read Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance? If he's an engineer he will enjoy this. It says on the cover that this book will change the way you see life and I think it did for me.

OP
OP
S

Susievintage

Many thanks indeed - the title of the book would be very useful. He's been looking after bikes since he was five (literally) and there's nothing he doesn't know about general cycle maintenance. But Rohloff, disc brakes and suspension are all new to him. I'll also look out the Zen book - it sounds as though it would be a good read for him. Thanks again.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
There's a zinn book for roadbikes and I believe one for Mountain bikes - got the road one v. good - not sure if Rohloff hubs are covered tho theres also the park tool big blue book of bike repair - not seen the latter but should be good if the website's anything to go by.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zinn-Art-Ro...ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1261435609&sr=8-1-fkmr0

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zinn-Art-Mo...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1261435713&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Big-Blue-Bo...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1261435649&sr=1-1

sounds like the zinn mountain bike book might be for you - read the reviews on amazon then decide....

Globalti

Legendary Member
Okay, the book is Bicycling Science by Frank Rowland Whitt and David Gordon Wilson. However it is much more about the science and principles behind bicycles than about maintenence so it's pretty heavy going. It would be fine if he wanted to design a bike and neded to know about rolling resistance, aerodynamics etc but not BB sizes, spoke patterns or anything very practical. It is also quite out of date in that it doesn't even list carbon fibre as a frame material!

jimboalee

If I bought a Rolhoff, I wouldn't plan to take it apart.

'Preventative maintenance ' info is all I would look for, and that should come with the blurb at purchase.

jimboalee

Rigid Raider said:
Okay, the book is Bicycling Science by Frank Rowland Whitt and David Gordon Wilson. However it is much more about the science and principles behind bicycles than about maintenence so it's pretty heavy going. It would be fine if he wanted to design a bike and neded to know about rolling resistance, aerodynamics etc but not BB sizes, spoke patterns or anything very practical. It is also quite out of date in that it doesn't even list carbon fibre as a frame material!

If anyone likes this book, get yourself into the Library at Warwick University in Coventry.
Most of Frank Whitt's papers are in there.

I can get in via the Industrial Statistics Post Grads who are working with me at Jaguar Cars.

OP
OP
S

Susievintage

Many thanks to you all for your suggestions - that's birthdays and Christmas taken care of for the next few years! Very kind of you all to take the trouble to help me.

weevil

When I was looking for an advanced book on Amazon, I found several reviewers suggesting that such-and-such a book wasn't as good at this...

http://www.bbinstitute.com/manual.htm

It seems to have in-depth procedures for pretty much everything.

I think it's CD-only, although older editions are available on printed form. There were a couple on Amazon a few minutes ago.

Have any CCers got it? Or seen it? If so, what do you think?

Top Bottom