Looking for advice buying my first adult bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Quigibo

Hello!

I'm starting university this year as a mature student and I am hoping to commute around 4 miles via bike (weather permitting). I've looked around and decided that a hybrid bike would most likely be the best choice as the route would use both the main road and a riverside path.

I have been looked on eBay for something decent second hand, also Halfords and my local bike shop. EBay is a bit hit and miss; I’m also not 100% if it’s even worth risking a second hand bike?
The local bike shop's cheapest bike is £350, which he offered to me at £300, it was a focus and looked very nice, but it is still a bit pricey and I’d hate for something like that to get damaged or stolen.
Halfords looked like a good middle ground but all I read and hear about them is negative, but their "Apollo Belmont" at £176 is currently my favourite.

So my question is this, should I risk a second hand bike, buy from a less than reputable retailer or shell out more than I’d like to the local store?

Thanks in advance.

midlife

Guru
@biggs682 on here might have something that fits the bill :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Hi @Quigibo i always have a selection of ready to ride mainly retro road bikes and sometimes others .

How tall are you is the first question and then what sort of bike are you looking for ?

If you are near to NN8 Wellingborough postcode pop in and you are free to try and look at what i have

At the moment i also have a nice Giant mtb with no suspension that would do the job you are asking with ease

thanks @midlife

OP
OP
Q

Quigibo

Thanks for the replies. The Carrera Subway looks much better for not much more.

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Look for a second hand Carrera Subway. The Apollo range aren't very good

Otherwise, this is a v good deal new, basically the subway without discbrakes which you won't need for a canal path

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/carrera-parva-mens-hybrid-bike

Look at Decathlon too if one closeby. Where are you based?

Insure whatever you buy, household insurance usually cheapest way to go

^^^ This is good advice. The Subway is a cracking bike for the money new and sounds ideal for what you describe - a lightly used second hand one would be a bargain. I too would avoid the Apollo range if you can - Mrs ND had one and it wasn't good.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The Halfords Subway has a solid reputation on here even if the store has not. Apollo is not a good brand. Another chain store to visit is Decathlon as mentioned and they have a contender for you : https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-500-flat-bar-road-bike-black-id_8322664.html
If you're on a very tight budget used can be a good solution. But beware, buying at this price point is fraught with problems, old worn out and abused bikes proliferate. If the bike has been checked over and brought up to scratch by someone who knows what they're doing like @biggs682 its fine. He won't sell you a lemon, if he did we'd all be up there twisting his seat post 'till it hurt.
Retro is in right now.
He can post.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Look out for bike recycling charity near you. There are a couple in this area that refurbish second hand bikes and sell them. It's less risky than buying something unknown from ebay and they tend to be run by people who want you to get the right bike for you rather than just flogging a bike. One of ours actually runs a loan scheme so you can try the bike free for a month with no obligation to buy.

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
As above, plus test ride it if you can and if anything seems wrong that they won't/can't put right, or they won't allow even a short test ride up a dead end or similar enclosed space, walk away and look at another bike.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I too would avoid the Apollo range if you can - Mrs ND had one and it wasn't good.
We've an Apollo MTB here and I wouldn't go that far but be under no illusions about what it is: cheap, crude, heavy and probably bombproof. It's mainly on ice bike duty here now, with studded tyres. If you've only one bike, you probably don't want it to be this! Unless most of your riding is around farmyards or something.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Avoid the Marin, it'll weigh a ton and won't be much pleasure to ride.

It does amuse me when something is advertised as brand new when its clearly been used. The 20" will be fine for you. The price is not far off new so try to reduce it. Otherwise a good buy. The disc brakes will give you extra security in all weathers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Q

Quigibo

Thanks for all your help folks, I managed to get the Subway for £150, it comes with a lock so that was an okay price I thought.

I will be sure to give it a quick check when I pick it up.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for all your help folks, I managed to get the Subway for £150, it comes with a lock so that was an okay price I thought.

I will be sure to give it a quick check when I pick it up.
What sort of lock is it, some aren't the best if locking up in high risk areas (like uni campuses)

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom