Looking for advice on bamboo bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matt Shenton

Hi all,

First of all, apologies if this is in the wrong section. I'm fairly new to the world of decent bikes, and came across this recently: http://www.zambikes.org/products/bamboo-bikes/road-bike/. From what I've read, bikes made from bamboo are strong and light, 2 of the main things you look for in a high performance frame. Has anyone had any experience of these bikes? Are they as good as they say they are?

Thanks for you're help!

Mash240

musa

Über Member
Tricky one

If you can come across one and see it face up then you'll know what your dealing

I mean I was told wheels were being built by wood in Italy I think

HovR

Über Member
Bamboo Bikes.
Are you a complete twat ?

That seemed uncalled for. Not exactly the best way to welcome a new member.. :thumbsdown:

Welcome to the forums, Matt Shenton! Unfortunately I have no experience with these bikes, but as musa said, it would be a good idea to go and see one in person if you are considering buying one.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Try these people instead:
http://www.bamboobike.co/
They had one at the bike show last year. Looks stunning. Utterly stunning. When they get round to doing a road-orientated bike with drops, I'm going to find it hard not to buy one.

As a mountain bike they make a lot of sense, since the bamboo fibres are much better at absorbing vibrations than metal or carbon fibre. It is reported that those who tried it out were raving about the ride. More difficult to make sense as a road bike, but possibly as an audax or tourer.

Go for it. Get one and stand out from the crowd. And make me very, very, very jealous.

rollinstok

Wow, you learn something every day
Thanks for that interesting link Matt, it would be good to hear how you get on with it if you do buy one.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I've seen some utterly beautiful laminated hardwood road bike frames on the net. Bamboo seems to get used for hybrid/MTB applications.
My concern with any non-metallic material is the join to parts which are necessarily metallic like drop-outs.

IIRC there was a bamboo bike on a very wet FNRttC last year - which suffered some sort of "separation" at one of it's joints.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Try these people instead:
http://www.bamboobike.co/
They had one at the bike show last year. Looks stunning. Utterly stunning. When they get round to doing a road-orientated bike with drops, I'm going to find it hard not to buy one.

I had a go on one in February as well - I'd echo the comments.

Light, looks good and different.

Shaun

Founder
I imagine Bamboo must be strong stuff if they can use it for scaffolding on this scale:

taipo-tower-bamboo-scaffold.jpg

Doug.

Veteran
Bamboo is generally only used in very hot countries because steel scaffolding gets too hot(very hot sun) and the steel scaffolding would become extremely hot thus causing burns to the workers.
The other reason for using Bamboo is expense,it's much cheaper.
Generally not a lot of health and safety practises in the "Bamboo scaffolding countries"

After many years of cycle manufacturer a new material is found.....Bamboo !!!
For f..k sake.

Bamboo is generally only used in very hot countries because steel scaffolding gets too hot(very hot sun) and the steel scaffolding would become extremely hot thus causing burns to the workers.
The other reason for using Bamboo is expense,it's much cheaper.
Generally not a lot of health and safety practises in the "Bamboo scaffolding countries"

After many years of cycle manufacturer a new material is found.....Bamboo !!!
For f..k sake.
Nope, Bamboo is used for scaffolding in hot countries because its rate of expansion due to temparature fluctuations is less than that of steel tubing. Actually.

Are you drunk?

Top Bottom