Looking for advice on bamboo bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Talking of ''For Fork's Sake,'' bikebamboo make bamboo frames weighing under 2kg, but they don't appear to do forks.

green1

Über Member
Generally not a lot of health and safety practises in the "Bamboo scaffolding countries"
Why would that be? Bamboo is comparatively stronger than steel especially when constrained and the steel buckles due to thermal expansion.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Back to the OP, and ignoring Doug, Bamboo bikes are supposed to be very good. Wouldn't have one myself as I don't like the look of them, but as a niche frame, they perform as well as any other bike, comfort being on the plus side. If it tickles your fancy, and you have enough cash, why not. Certainly a talking point.

Oh and it's not wood, it's a grass - I was corrected of that the last time we discussed bamboo bikes.

I think they look horrid, even the very top ones like those made by Calfee (with heat treated bamboo....). I'd only ride one if I could afford to bling it right up ina natural materials theme stylee - wooden rims, fenders, bars &c. But I suspect that there will always be a steel/carbon/Ti bike before it on the wish list.

e-rider

crappy member
Bamboo bikes certainly look amazing but I think they will never be high performance bikes, more for weekend rides in the country for the rich middle classes

e-rider

crappy member
Should I not be using my high performance bike for weekend rides out in the country then?? :sad:

yes you should - I was saying that it might be a while before you see a bamboo bike in the Tour de France as they are more suited to general cycling ie. not racing

Doug.

Veteran
Nope, Bamboo is used for scaffolding in hot countries because its rate of expansion due to temparature fluctuations is less than that of steel tubing. Actually.

Are you drunk?

Complete nonsense,it's the heat factore and Bamboo is much cheaper and less likely to get stolen.
Most European people who have ever had high(ish) altitude experiences of Bamboo scaffolding will generally (unless one is completely stupid) not wish to repeat the experience.

Are you senile ?

Complete nonsense,it's the heat factore and Bamboo is much cheaper and less likely to get stolen.
Most European people who have ever had high(ish) altitude experiences of Bamboo scaffolding will generally (unless one is completely stupid) not wish to repeat the experience.

Keeping your ears apart.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

Are you senile ?

What is your problem ? We are talking about bamboo bikes, keep it to that without insults.

Top Bottom