Looking for advice repairing Peugeot road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smcg220

Having some trouble with my old Peugeot road bike. I believe it's a 1988 premiere HLE but I'm not certain on that.

I crashed it the other day and bent the fork, I've found a replacement on eBay, removed the front brake and the screw that keeps the handlebars on the front stem however I can't get the handlebars or the old fork to come loose from the frame.

I'm wondering if either there's an extra step to unscrew with this particular model or if the two are kind of rusted together because they are so old.

Would appreciate any advice

Thanks

alicat

Legendary Member
Check this link out. If the bolt is loose but the stem will not come out, strike the bolt using a mallet and punch. This will break the wedge free from the head tube.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
A common problem. Unscrew the bolt on the stem and give it a good bash to release the quill. If you've done that and it won't budge the stem and quil may be rusted in the head tube. All you can do is apply plenty of WD40 and wait and try again.
Check out videos on YouTube for releasing stuck stem.

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
If the stem is immovably corroded in, you could sacrifice it to get the fork out, simply by sawing through it. The fork will then drop out when you remove the headset nuts. You just need then to source a replacement stem.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If the stem is immovably corroded in, you could sacrifice it to get the fork out, simply by sawing through it. The fork will then drop out when you remove the headset nuts. You just need then to source a replacement stem.
Not quite, you'll still need to remove what's left of the stem in the steerer tube.. See the above video.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
That's true. I forgot it was bent:blush:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Also, with steel forks, it is safe to straighten them a couple of times. I think I recall Dave Yates saying no more than three.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
If the quill expander bolt is stuck, could you not just undo the screw all the way out, the stem should then just lift out leaving the expander in the fork. A replacement expander is easy to source.

midlife

Guru
The expander jams itself into the stem, removing the bolt leaves the expander / stem combo still in place.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
The expander jams itself into the stem, removing the bolt leaves the expander / stem combo still in place.
Not always, I watched the video posted earlier, but a lot of stems work differently. The expander slides down the bottom of the stem pushing the stem against the steeper one way and the expanded the other holding everything tight.
20190727_111656.jpg
20190727_111617.jpg
]

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
Often the sliding type expander above gets corroded to the inside of the steerer tube and requires a snack to release it :smile:

Top Bottom