Looking for advice...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tiny

Hello,

I am a big fella, there are no two ways about it. I am 6ft6 and (let's just say) heavy! When I first started riding again I was getting a lot of "pinch punctures" which I kinda expected and I was riding my mates old bike. I upgraded to this bike through the cycle to work scheme (hopefully the link will work) http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_810639_langId_-1_categoryId_165499 and have found it to be pretty reliable in the last 6 months or so but I am having some issues:
1) I am still getting more than my fair share of punctures (not pinch!) although the bulk of the riding I do is on the roads/bridle paths (very rarely, any kind of off road and nothing more than some old train tracks). These are mostly in the back tyre. I currently have these http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_392609_langId_-1_categoryId_242553 with some http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007XJQO...and=1988851319974133200&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=
and I keep them at 60psi
* Am I doing anything obviously wrong?
* Should I look at specific tyres/innertubes to minimise the risk?
2) I have had my "bottom bracket" replaced twice since I have had the bike - is this purely down to weight or again, am I doing something wrong?
I am not the most technical of people so I use the Halfords Care Plan and go with the advice they give me, currently it is not costing me anything as they are replacing parts "under warranty".

Any advice on these or other "tips" for "fatties on wheels" will be greatly appreciated as I am getting frustrated as all I want to do is ride safe and lose more weight! (I do other exercise and am a dedicated member of Slimming World, cycling is just the one I enjoy most & can do with least organising!).

Thank you

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The tyre liner might be the problem, I've read several reports of them causing punctures.

edwardd67

Reading today about tubeless tyres in February edition of Cycling Plus
google Fenwick Airtight puncture proofing.Or Continental Revo Sealant
might help

Cubist

Still wavin'
No, the tyre liner may not be protecting the innertube from the spokes, you need thicker liner, not none at all.

As for the punctures. You should be able to determine what has caused them, in fact it's crucial as you need to remove whatever has caused the puncture from the tyre. Is it thorns, or glass shards, or rocks/stone damage? If none of those, whereabouts on the tube are the punctures?

Well done for getting on the bike and doing something about your weight by the way. :bravo:

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
I know it sounds obvious, but have you checked the tyre for anything sharp? Take it off and run your fingers on the inside - there may be a tiny thorn or something.
As for your bb problem - that sounds odd. BBs last for thousands and thousands of kms, these days. What were the symptoms that led you to believe they needed changing?
Oh - just saw read the bottom of the post. Halford's Care Plan. Perhaps therein lies the answer to my second question (!)

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
No, the tyre liner may not be protecting the innertube from the spokes, you need thicker liner, not none at all.

Two different things - the protecting of the inner tube from the spokes is done by rim tape.

The OP's link is to a tyre liner - a plastic strip which fits inside the tyre under the tread.

Sounds like a good idea, but what tends to happen in use is the tape moves around inside the tyre and the friction between it and the tube causes punctures.

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
A quick tip for checking the inside of tyres for debris is to a cotton wool ball and run it along the inside of the tyre. If there is foreign object embedded in the tyre then the cotton wool will catch on it making it easily visible to you.
Excellent advice! I'll remember that one!

Top Bottom