Looking for bike clarification/opinion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moorie87

Hello all,
first time post and front bike purchase looming and in need of some help.
I have been offered the chance to buy a Wilier La Triestina Road bike for £300.
Before going to look at it i could do with some clarification.
He says its a 2010 Wilier La Triestina Competizone.
Trying to google this, it looks more like a 2013 Wilier La Triestina 105? Help.
Comes with 10 speed campagnolo groupset, Mavic Aksium Wheelset, Pro Logo Saddel, Easton Seatpost, Lizard Skin Bar Tape and Zefal bottle cages. Please see photo.
Would this be a good buy?
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1060.PNG
    IMG_1060.PNG
    305.6 KB · Views: 16

vickster

Legendary Member
Has he not got the paperwork with the model details?

Sounds and looks like this one groupset wise (campag not 105)

https://www.evanscycles.com/wilier-triestina-2011-road-bike-EV144655

Google suggests that Willier didn’t change the frameset for quite a few years

It’s expensive I’d say if it’s a 2010 bike with several owners

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Moorie87

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The spec is almost superfluous if you're asking if this a good buy, you really need to see the bike and check out it's mechanical and cosmetic condition. Do you know what to look for?
It's eight or so years old so has it been well maintained ? Anything the owner can tell you about this would be helpful.
Is it the correct size for you?

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Moorie87

The spec is almost superfluous if you're asking if this a good buy, you really need to see the bike and check out it's mechanical and cosmetic condition. Do you know what to look for?
It's eight or so years old so has it been well maintained ? Anything the owner can tell you about this would be helpful.
I dont know much about road bikes etc to be honest so any help would be much appreciated. I know its the right frame size.

OP
OP
M

Moorie87

Also he says it has been well maintained but ofcourse he will say that he is trying to sell it

Cycleops

Legendary Member
That's right so its important to check it over. Do you know how to do that or would you like some pointers?
What is the frame size and how tall are you?
Sorry didn't see you previous post. I'll give you some tips.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Check the rims run true. Do the sides of the rims look worn down? Are the spokes fairly tight?
Hold the front brake on and move the bars to and fro, any movement indicates wear in the head bearings unless they are not adjusted. Raise the front wheel and move the bars from side to side, should be smooth without any roughness/binding.
Move the crank and feel for any play which might mean bearings need replacing. Look at the chain wheel and inspect for any sharp, misshaped or missing teeth.
Ride the bike and ensure the gears change smoothly and there is no slipping.
Look at the tyres for wear and any cuts or damage to sidewalls.
Lastly check for any dents or scratches in the frame.
Any minus points are bargaining chips.
Remember this is quite an old bike and could have had a hard life. Sounds like he's asking for top money.
Good luck.

mustang1

Guru
How much is a new one of these? Maybe £1000-1300?

So £300 seems like a good deal. If it has some worn parts, some life in some other parts, well that's what an 8 year old bike gets you. But then again, it's not really about the age, but by how many saddle hours is on the bike. Distance covered and age of bike do not mean much, I think we have to look at things like:

How many hours has it been ridden and also check who the rider is, his weight, ho many watts he puts out?

Oooor just check bike condition like what the other day above and go with your instinct perhaps?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Hello all,
first time post and front bike purchase looming and in need of some help.
I have been offered the chance to buy a Wilier La Triestina Road bike for £300.
Before going to look at it i could do with some clarification.
He says its a 2010 Wilier La Triestina Competizone.
Trying to google this, it looks more like a 2013 Wilier La Triestina 105? Help.
Comes with 10 speed campagnolo groupset, Mavic Aksium Wheelset, Pro Logo Saddel, Easton Seatpost, Lizard Skin Bar Tape and Zefal bottle cages. Please see photo.
Would this be a good buy?
Thanks
105 is the 'groupset option' and is Shimano not Campagnolo.

OP
OP
M

Moorie87

Check the rims run true. Do the sides of the rims look worn down? Are the spokes fairly tight?
Hold the front brake on and move the bars to and fro, any movement indicates wear in the head bearings unless they are not adjusted. Raise the front wheel and move the bars from side to side, should be smooth without any roughness/binding.
Move the crank and feel for any play which might mean bearings need replacing. Look at the chain wheel and inspect for any sharp, misshaped or missing teeth.
Ride the bike and ensure the gears change smoothly and there is no slipping.
Look at the tyres for wear and any cuts or damage to sidewalls.
Lastly check for any dents or scratches in the frame.
Any minus points are bargaining chips.
Remember this is quite an old bike and could have had a hard life. Sounds like he's asking for top money.
Good luck.
Thanks very much thats some good information to take into looking at it. its a frame 57" and im 6'1

OP
OP
M

Moorie87

How much is a new one of these? Maybe £1000-1300?

So £300 seems like a good deal. If it has some worn parts, some life in some other parts, well that's what an 8 year old bike gets you. But then again, it's not really about the age, but by how many saddle hours is on the bike. Distance covered and age of bike do not mean much, I think we have to look at things like:

How many hours has it been ridden and also check who the rider is, his weight, ho many watts he puts out?

Oooor just check bike condition like what the other day above and go with your instinct perhaps?
yeah i thought it was a good deal going on how much these were going for new but few years ago as pointed out. ive asked more questions regarding this. he is 6ft, not sure on weight, not a large guy though. trying to find out the other info.

Top Bottom