Looking for Gravel bike under £1000

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lauris

I will be doing bikepacking/touring this summer.

Need something that supports panniers.( Might use as a commuter in the future.
Then preferably 3 bottle cage mounts ( 2 will do but 3 better)

Must have 1x drivetrain.
Preferably mechanical disc brakes than hydraulic.

I know it's a hard find in pandemic but don't want to spend more than £1000.
I am around 6ft3.

Long shot, but looking to see if any one knows anything

vickster

Legendary Member

Last edited:
Am a bit intrigued by why you are after something with the label "gravel bike" and also why you have decided it has to be 1x.
You mention that you intend to tour on it and need something that will take panniers, and also commute.
I'd be inclined to look at spa's offerings as suggested upthread.
If you are planning to commute on a £2,000 bike i trust you have somewhere secure to keep it at work, not on the street.

Love my Tempest but I went for 2x. Much more practical - I'm gonna be on the road for most of my cycling.

Baldy

Über Member
I'm quite tempted by some of the Alpkit gravel bikes but their all out of stock until September.

OP
OP
L

Lauris

Love my Tempest but I went for 2x. Much more practical - I'm gonna be on the road for most of my cycling.

I want 1x drivetrain, as I think it will be easier to clean :smile:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Good luck finding one.
I think you'll find most bikes at that price point are going to have hydraulic discs by default. Most aluminium or steel frames will have fittings for racks. I'd opt for a 2x or triple rather than 1x, too many gaps.

Kajjal

Guru
The trick with 1x is to make sure you are honest about the gearing you need. When it first appeared in mountain biking people justified struggling up hills having run out of gears a fitness building challenge. Now it is different with more options and a wider range of gears in use.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I ride a Kinesis Tripster ATR V3 which is the titanium version of the bike I would recommend. Have a look at the Kinesis AT which should tick all your boxes for winter/gravel/touring/commuting. The frameset is £750 and not available till September. What the overall cost would be will depend on the spec you want. The ATR V3 is a superb machine and I've no hesitation in suggesting its sister.

Why you would want 1x for the uses you describe I can't quite grasp. I can see it would be easier to have only one chain ring to clean but the extra effort it takes seems a rather lame reason to me. Chose the right lube and cleaning is minimal plus cleaning the cassette is more labour intensive than a chain ring. I know people who went with 1x and have returned to 2x.

I want 1x drivetrain, as I think it will be easier to clean :smile:
no great trouble to clean a 2 or even 3 x as long as you are talking about functional cleaning.
I was riding with someone the other week who had just bought a long haul trucker sold as a gravel bike (came as a bit of a surprise to me - I thought they always billed it as an exped tourer) - it was a triple. 9 speed. I think the front triple was probably 44/32/22 and probably had a 36T big cog at the back.

Top Bottom