Looking for ladies all-round hybrid bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Thanks. You mention V-brakes: I always thought hydraulic disks were the de-facto preferred option these days - are there benefits to v-brakes, or it doesn't really matter too much?
They happened to be what was on the bike when we bought it some years ago. To be honest I don't think the type of brake was a consideration, and I don't think disks were as common at the time as they are now. I mentioned them particularly because there are a dozen different models of Spesh Vita range and this helps to narrow down the particular bike she has.

They (the V brakes) work OK. But I've never ridden a bike with disks myself so I can't really comment.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
These bikes seem to be classified as allround commuter/leisure bikes - a class I've never really heard of. Any thoughts on these sort of bikes?
Marketing gobbledegook.

OP
OP
S

SteelSky

Regular
Yes, my wife has the “city” version. She has had it for about 4-5 years, and loves it. Turned from a reluctant cyclist to someone who actually suggests a ride out.

Yeah, that City-version looks pretty ok - do you think it's ok for a ten mile bike ride, in the country: gravel paths, that sort of thing? (think Tarka Trail)

vickster

Legendary Member
They happened to be what was on the bike when we bought it some years ago. To be honest I don't think the type of brake was a consideration, and I don't think disks were as common at the time as they are now. I mentioned them particularly because there are a dozen different models of Spesh Vita range and this helps to narrow down the particular bike she has.

They (the V brakes) work OK. But I've never ridden a bike with disks myself so I can't really comment.
Not sure the Vita exists now. Think Spesh just put all its eggs in the Sirrus basket, no differently names WSD rigid fork flatbar (just women's Sirrus, don't know if there's any difference tho other than saddle, narrower bars, colour?)

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Yeah, that City-version looks pretty ok - do you think it's ok for a ten mile bike ride, in the country: gravel paths, that sort of thing? (think Tarka Trail)
Yes if speed is not a priority and it'll be rough and bumpy, suspension is fine. If more looking for speed on roads, rigid fork preferable. Just don't get the cheapest model as the components and fork will be basic and made sure it has a lockout for road / tarmacced path use

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks, wondering if I was thinking about the Liv Rov ....

https://www.balfesbikes.co.uk/bikes...MIz8OP8qyc8gIVRrDtCh0OEQopEAQYASABEgIYD_D_BwE

That Liv Alight does look pretty good, i have to say.
The Treadwell is a bit of an eye sore :laugh:

Liv looks fine though but no mention of lockout...except no availability until November...and Balfes are pretty good for Trek stocks

This is a fab colours, better spec, 18 gears, hydro discs, fork lockout, Schwalbe tyres and available in Small
https://www.balfesbikes.co.uk/bikes...brid-bike-step-thru-2021-in-matt-orange__1342

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Not sure the Vita exists now. Think Spesh just put all its eggs in the Sirrus basket, no differently names WSD rigid fork flatbar (just women's Sirrus, don't know if there's any difference tho other than saddle, narrower bars, colour?)
I'm so out of date!

The way we made the decision was just by setting a budget and wandering around a few bike shops. My wife's main input was that it must have a step-thru frame, and my input was mainly to ensure that it had a good gearing range and splendid mudguards. Apart from that it was just finding something appealing that was in budget. (This was in a time of plentiful supply!)

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite

Yes. My wife is 74 years old. Regularly does 20 mile rides, mixed road, cycle track etc.

OP
OP
S

SteelSky

Regular
Ok I have enough to go on now: Trek fx, Liv alight, Whyte ridgeway, specialized sirrus. It's neck-and-neck-and-neck-and-neck. They all tick the same boxes. I see no need for suspension front forks - my own Giant has rigid forks, and its never been an issue for me, off or on-road. Cheers for your help everyone, much apprec!

vickster

Legendary Member
Go with your wife to a couple of local bike shops and see what they actually have now for her to test ride (my local Balfes says that they are really struggling to get anything from Spesh, small ladies Sirrus completely OOS in orange, green end Sept!)

Check the specs, historically Specialized have been underspecced component wise for the price

Last edited:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I'm so out of date!

The way we made the decision was just by setting a budget and wandering around a few bike shops. My wife's main input was that it must have a step-thru frame, and my input was mainly to ensure that it had a good gearing range and splendid mudguards. Apart from that it was just finding something appealing that was in budget. (This was in a time of plentiful supply!)

Approximately same as my wife:

1. suitable colour
2. step through type frame, which she could get her "leg over" ;)

In the days when she worked, and had her own car, colour was the deciding factor in choice of car. ;)

AuroraSaab

Veteran
My OH has one of the Cannondale Quick hybrids and absolutely loves it. The Pinnacle bikes don't look quite as well put together to me - the welding isn't as neat - but they seem decent value.

vickster

Legendary Member
My OH has one of the Cannondale Quick hybrids and absolutely loves it. The Pinnacle bikes don't look quite as well put together to me - the welding isn't as neat - but they seem decent value.
Heavy too when I’ve looked at them, chunky looking

Top Bottom