Looking for my first saddle.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jameshow

Veteran
I am in a similar position
The saddle that came with my ebike is starting to get worn out - the surface coating is cracked and falling apart so it needs replacing

The saddle has always been just right for me, in spite of it just being the one that came with the bike
Selle Royal so a well know brand

BUT
apparently this particular model is only sold with pre-made bikes - you can;t buy one on its own
only the Gods know why this makes sense - but.....

anyway - the LBS is very helpful - but for saddles he just points to 3 on th ewall - in different styles - and says those are what he sells
and none look quite the same as mine

only other bike shops nearby are the big brands - Halfords and the like

I do have 2 other saddles - one came with my wife's folder but it is too narrow for me on long (for me) rides - OK but not ideal
I got her another one but that is too wide for me

which is a pain

Try eBay people often put factory saddles on when they change for a different model.

I find I need a wider saddle when pottering but a narrower one when pressing on.

A flite or fizik when out for the evening but a turbo or spoon for all day comfort.

OP
OP
P

Porknz

My Lbs didn't put much stock in sit bone measurements. I don't know what mine is, and they don't seem to be interested in finding out. They seemed to be more of a trial an error than anything else. Does anyone swear by or at these measurement sessions?

Seevio

Guru
I would have thought that sit bone measurements would help get to the final saddle quicker. Saying that, trial and error also works as long you as you only pay for the final saddle that fits.

For disclosure, I have never had to replace a saddle and just used whatever came with the bike. It's possible that I have a standard arse.

november4

I used my Amazon membership with free returns to try a few saddles out, before I found the perfect one for me.

Saddles are annoyingly personal and as others have said, you need to use them to be sure.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I used my Amazon membership with free returns to try a few saddles out, before I found the perfect one for me.

Saddles are annoyingly personal and as others have said, you need to use them to be sure.

indeed , my preferred saddle has other makes basically the same shape but i find differences between them .

Top Bottom