Looking for retro chrome LED lights, but plasticky plastic everywhere.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brand X

Anyone know where I can get a metal headlight in the Union dome-shell style? Every one I've looked at so far is chrome-effect plastic, which just isn't the same. The only examples I've seen with metal housings are ones people have made themselves, but while there are DIY guies on how to make them, it's not as easy as I would have expected, involving heatsinks and multimeters and finding the correct size/type of wires, I'd rather just buy one.

The metal units for dynamo lights seem to be readily available for as little as £10 (I've got a rust-speckled on in the garage) but fitting an LED lamp inside of it is complicated.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
fitting an LED lamp inside of it is complicated
Sorry, but it isn't. Visit http://www.reflectalite.com/LEDpage.html

OP
OP
Brand X

Brand X

Thanks Adrian, there is one made by B&M , but it's hard to tell if it's plastic or metal, they call it "chrome over plastic".

@mjray, oh yes it is! I can probably do it, but it's not just a case of adding the LED bulb, you also have to fit the battery unit, the circuit board and an external switch and fit it all in nice and neatly so it doesn't shake apart or overheat.
I'll practice with an old LED-lamp and see if I can find the right wires at my local Maplin.

mjr

Yes a lot of chrome looking stuff is foil wrapped plastic these days. Going to a retro bike shop or jumble may be the only way to be sure what you're getting.

Why not connect it to a dynamo?

I use retro Lucas motorcycle light switches and speaker wire. It's pretty easy to do that. You'd also need some sort of regulator if whatever headlamp you use doesn't have it built in (some do).

OP
OP
Brand X

Brand X

Yes a lot of chrome looking stuff is foil wrapped plastic these days. Going to a retro bike shop or jumble may be the only way to be sure what you're getting.

Why not connect it to a dynamo?

I use retro Lucas motorcycle light switches and speaker wire. It's pretty easy to do that. You'd also need some sort of regulator if whatever headlamp you use doesn't have it built in (some do).

Yeah, I was thinking much the same thing, but it's only the shell I want. I've ordered a Union style light off of Laxzo which is only £7.50 inc p&p, and I'm hoping the hole in the back of the reflector will be big enough to fit the LED light I've got (taken from a cheap "head lamp"). Do you think these cheaper switches would do the same job? These are £4 for 5: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-x-OnOff...tch-Car-Dash-Dashboard-SPDT-12V-/251539654529
I could use re-use the same button, but I like the retro look of a "real" switch. I'm not sure if it would allow me to select modes like a micro-switch does though, I think the correct type would be a "spring return switch".. not sure.

mjr

Top Bottom