Looking for short, speedy commuter - second hand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

penderyn

Hi guys. I commute about 3 miles almost every day in London. For the last two years I've been using a Pinnacle hybrid I bought second hand for about 150 pounds (apologies, I don't have a pound sign on the this american keyboard!). However, its only got 7 gears and needs some TLC.

With that in mind, I'd like something better. Ideally, I'm looking for something nippy, light and not a ridiculous amount of money - I have a budget of about 200, but I am willing to go second hand or drop slightly more if necessary. I've been looking at the B'Twin Triban range as they seem to offer a lot of bike for a decent amount of money. Does anyone else have any other recommendations?

Was thinking about THIS ONE - which is my size (M, 57cm) , and looks in good nick

Opinions, oh ye lords of two wheels?

vickster

Legendary Member
Single speed? Why need as many as 7 gears in London? Nippy, less maintenance

vickster

Legendary Member
You obviously aren't familiar with roads like Dartmouth Park Hill, Swains Lane, or Highgate Hill then. If you run a SS bike, you're going to be walking up any of those and they'll be a hard slog even in your lowest ratio on a 7-speed.
I don’t go north if I can help it ;)

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Thanks @smokeysmoo

@penderyn i always have a selection of mainly retro road bikes and in the next couple of weeks i will be putting the Dunelt returns and the Harry Middleton up for sale amongst a couple of others .

if any of the above tick your boxes feel free to drop me a line

What size are you ?

OP
OP
P

penderyn

@biggs682 thanks! I'm 5'11 and most sites seem to recommend a 57cm frame or there abouts. I confess I've no idea about either of the above, what would you recommend based on my requirements?

Top Bottom