Looking for some advice with a £1,500 budget

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jjc89

Über Member
Looking for help after scouring the internet for days and ending up in some sort of mid price bike continuum.
Basically after 8 years (lol) I’ve decided to upgrade my old Giant OCR(bless her) to something nicer. As previously someone who has shunned bike fetishism I realise I know next to nothing about road bikes. Basically my budget is around £1,500 and I’m struggling! I have considered many but the most sensible option seems like the Ribble R872 Disc. However I’ve since read that a low end carbon frame can be trumped by a high end aluminium frame so something like the Canyon Endurance Al Disc or the Giant TCR Disc.

I know I’m not being super helpful by not providing a lot of bikes that I’ve looked at but basically I’m looking for the most bike for my buck. Preferably with a good frame, decent groupset and preferably disc brakes(I hear they’re.. good?) so basically is there anything anyone out there would recommend at this price?

if this helps it will mostly be used for 3/4 rides a week totalling somewhere between 100-250km a week. Not into racing or anything like just love getting the old Km’s in. Thanks!

Gazjacko

I came across this ‘bargain’ whilst surfing the net today, lot of bike for the money and reputable brand too.
https://www.merlincycles.com/ridley-fenix-a-tiagra-disc-road-bike-189630.html

gbb

Legendary Member
2012 I brought a Ribble New Sportive Racing, full carbon for around £1300 back then.
I still have it, it's been everything I ever needed, light, reliable, looks good even now.
The forks that had to come with it were not seen as high end or that good but I've never felt any problems with them...I suspect the analogy that a high end alloy bike is better than a mid / low end carbon may well be true but perhaps the average cyclist would never feel or sense it.

I tend to have a three stage approach to chosing a new bike

First, think about my needs, commuting, racing, on road, bit of off road etc. and look and see what is out there and looks to fit my needs for the amount I can afford to spend.:addict:

Second, organise a test ride, go to bike shop and, while waiting, have a browse

Third,while browsing have eye caught by something beautiful think "I love that", throw a cursory leg over it and wander out of the shop the happiest man alive.:bicycle:

Thankfully this approach has over the years seen me buy bikes I've wanted to ride and this means I have ridden them come rain or shine, rater than staying in bed/taking the car (delete as applicable).

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks everyone for the helpful replies. More things to consider! I have been looking aswell at the Van Rysel 992 Ultegra if anyone knows anything about this? Seems like a good deal!

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/rr-920-...&ranSiteID=TnL5HPStwNw-6f9gS_pP8FMP5YqrtvY29g
Unfortunately all sizes out of stock but if you're not in a hurry :okay: No disc brakes though if that's a consideration?

What's most important: a carbon frame, (hydraulic) disc brakes, a 105 or higher groupset (or SRAM equivalent)...something else? Are you open to any brand?

Stocks are low across the board right now, so you will either need to wait or compromise. You'll probably struggle even more if you're an average size, 5'8-6' and looking for a 54/56cm frame

How about this - carbon & discs and may even be available (looks a bit like a wasp but hey, better than plain black :whistle: ). You can customise components which is a real bonus

https://www.dolan-bikes.com/dolan-dr1-carbon-disc-road-bike-shimano-105-r7020-hdr-se/

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jjc89

Über Member
Unfortunately all sizes out of stock but if you're not in a hurry :okay: No disc brakes though if that's a consideration?

I thought that too but it says on the website the open the online shop every night at 11pm for orders?
I know I know the brakes! I figure this one has a good groupset at the expense of worse brakes? Aw man, so many decisions! :laugh:

The Van Rysel is the updated version of one of the bike’s I’ve had for a couple of years. It’s fantastic. Although online stocks are out, Decathlon have bikes in store. Check your closest one. The one nearest me had a size L and a size M in store last week. And there’s nothing wrong with the brakes either.

Top Bottom