looking for some help to spend my money

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

uksel

Hi folks, i'm an absolute newbie to the world of cycling (havent even bought a bike yet), but i've got a voucher for the cycle to work scheme which i'm looking to make the most of.

my first question (probably first of many, i hope you dont mind) is this;

i like the idea of having a roller setup (tacx galaxia perhaps) in the house, but i'm just wondering if there is any software i can buy to create a more VR experience when training at home? something maybe that ties in to a cycle computer and transmits to a pc or tv display to know how fast your going, cadence, distance etc.

i have had a bit of a 'google' and couldnt come up with anything?

:smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
Have you checked that the voucher covers the equipment you are looking at? Normally the terms state bike and safety equipment, not gadgets

Or are you paying out of pocket for these and the voucher going on what it was intended for, I.e. A bike and safety kit for commuting to work

OP
OP
U

uksel

Hi folks, thanks for the replies. The bike shop I visited didn't mention anything about not being able to buy a trainer when I was speaking to him about using my voucher, I'll have to check up on that.

Bike is for both the sport and fitness, I've got some really good routes around where I live, but the trainer is just to keep things interesting when biking at home when the weather is bad or when I'm short on time.

OP
OP
U

uksel

My voucher doesn't mention any restrictions, neither does the providers website.

I am happy to foot the bill if it's an issue, so the scheme is fairly irrelevant if makes an answer a bit more straight forward

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Cycle to work scheme is as it says on the tin :smile:

Agreed, the retailer is being a bit economical with the rules of the scheme if he is prepared to sell you a roller on it.

Leaving that aside, buying a roller without having a bike is rather cart before the horse.

The better weather is creeping in, so buy a bike and get riding.

Most people only use a roller as a very poor second choice if they cannot get out due bad weather, or have an injury which prevents real riding.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Bike is for both the sport and fitness, I've got some really good routes around where I live, but the trainer is just to keep things interesting when biking at home when the weather is bad or when I'm short on time.

Interesting ???????? Riding on a static bike is misery. You get really sweaty because you are in still air, there is nothing to look at, and it's blooming boring. Just get a bike, any bike, go out on the road, meet motorists, see people on bikes, interact with pedestrians, look at buildings and discover the sneaky little routes that you never would have on foot, or on four wheels. Weave your way around the obstacles, stationary and mobile. Breathe the air and the exhaust fumes. They won't kill you.
Just get on the road, as often as you can. I triple guarantee that you won't regret it. Lurking indoors is a bad idea.
Have fun.

screenman

Legendary Member
Indoor trainers are great, and using a Garmin on them will give you some figures to play with. Put a power meter on the bike and it gets even more interesting, if you know what the figures mean and how to use them.

Not being a betting man but if I was I would be safe in saying your indoor training will not last long.

Of the 9 people at one of my customers who bought on bike to work only one still rides, there again he has always been a cyclist, so that helped. I hope you prove me very wrong.

uclown2002

Guru
A friend of mine determined to lose weight bought a bike/trainer set up. His intention was to build his fitness indoors over the winter with a view to riding outdoors when he felt more comfortable. Plus he spent most of his days watching TV so he thought it was perfect solution.

He lasted less than a week. Bike and trainer currently gathering dust.

Top Bottom