Looking for vintage guidance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fem_ilk

View: https://m.imgur.com/gallery/MKSLs4j

Relevant pictures above!

Hello!

I am new to vintage bikes and am looking for some guidance!

I’d like to know which crankset is original (I’m assuming campagnolo as Bianchi don’t use gipiemme as far as I know, but then I’m wondering how I know which campagnolo crankset would fit, if I buy a set online)

I’m also wondering which brakes are original to this bicycle, (however I think it might have the right ones as they are from the brand Universal no.77 which was used by Bianchi to my knowledge).

I’m also wondering what handlebars plugs were original because I don’t think Cateye model 800 is it chief. Also wondering what brake lever hoods would be original to this bike.

Also wondering what else is unoriginal on it right now. (Except the clipless pedals, they are getting changed into age appropriate Campagnolo ones once I have the right crankset.)

I was told it’s from 1981, I think it’s a Bianchi Nuovo Touring but I’m not completely certain. The frame should be 57cm and I think the wheels are 28”? I was looking at the 1981 catalog and couldn’t find the bike there: http://2velo.com/bianchi-bicycle-catalog-80s/

The brakes are a bit stiff and after being released they go back out slowly, so I would like to take them apart and clean them properly, however I’m not sure how. Is there any good guide out there on the actual removal and reassembly of old brakes without having to change the brake chords?

I’m very new to this and I really want to learn, I’ve only ridden new bikes all my life and not really been that interested in fixing them up myself until now.

I’ve tried watching as many tutorials online as I can but I’m still uncertain about a lot. I would really appreciate any kind of guidance so that I can fix my bike!

Thank you so much for taking the time to read!

-Belle

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Looks a nice bike , my advice would be not to get too hung up on whats original or not just ride it and enjoy it
That's what it was originally made for

Paulus

Started young, and still going.

View: https://m.imgur.com/gallery/MKSLs4j

Relevant pictures above!

Hello!

I am new to vintage bikes and am looking for some guidance!

I’d like to know which crankset is original (I’m assuming campagnolo as Bianchi don’t use gipiemme as far as I know, but then I’m wondering how I know which campagnolo crankset would fit, if I buy a set online)

I’m also wondering which brakes are original to this bicycle, (however I think it might have the right ones as they are from the brand Universal no.77 which was used by Bianchi to my knowledge).

I’m also wondering what handlebars plugs were original because I don’t think Cateye model 800 is it chief. Also wondering what brake lever hoods would be original to this bike.

Also wondering what else is unoriginal on it right now. (Except the clipless pedals, they are getting changed into age appropriate Campagnolo ones once I have the right crankset.)

I was told it’s from 1981, I think it’s a Bianchi Nuovo Touring but I’m not completely certain. The frame should be 57cm and I think the wheels are 28”? I was looking at the 1981 catalog and couldn’t find the bike there: http://2velo.com/bianchi-bicycle-catalog-80s/

The brakes are a bit stiff and after being released they go back out slowly, so I would like to take them apart and clean them properly, however I’m not sure how. Is there any good guide out there on the actual removal and reassembly of old brakes without having to change the brake chords?

I’m very new to this and I really want to learn, I’ve only ridden new bikes all my life and not really been that interested in fixing them up myself until now.

I’ve tried watching as many tutorials online as I can but I’m still uncertain about a lot. I would really appreciate any kind of guidance so that I can fix my bike!

Thank you so much for taking the time to read!

-Belle

As @biggs682 said, I also wouldn't worry too much about getting the right period running gear for the nice looking Bianchi you have there. The wheels may well be 700c and not 28, what size do the tyres say? Or is that the tyre width you are quoting?
The brakes should be easy enough to sort out, start with the cables and then clean and lube the calipers, they may need taking off to do it properly. Enjoy the bike, that's what it is intended for.
Should you want more detailed information, go to the vintage and classic section. There are people there who know the ins and outs.

Looks a nice bike , my advice would be not to get too hung up on whats original or not just ride it and enjoy it
That's what it was originally made for
My thoughts exactly.
I do worry ever so about folk being keen to "recreate" a bike in every detail.

Can't help but think that some folk in their search for historical accuracy have fitted old ever readys and then been hit by a truck (hopefully at least in period with dodgy brakes and a drunk driver)

:welcome:

Nice bike:okay:

I found this catalogue online, a word of warning: the same model may have different specifications in different markets!

bianchi nuovo touring

For the wheels, the catalogue says that are 27” This is not the same as 700c.

It seems that a Gipiemme (GPM) crankset was standard.

For the brakes, look on line for park tools maintainance videos, these are very easy to follow. It may be that a simple clean solves the problem.

I would agree with the other comments that there is no great need to get hung up about original parts, especiallty items like bar end caps, as these were most likely genetic plastic.

I hope this helps

Nice bike by the way belle.

Enjoy it.

From what you say it, sounds as if it is running fine apart from the brakes needing some tinkering.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
:welcome:

Nice bike:okay:

I found this catalogue online, a word of warning: the same model may have different specifications in different markets!

bianchi nuovo touring

For the wheels, the catalogue says that are 27” This is not the same as 700c.

It seems that a Gipiemme (GPM) crankset was standard.

For the brakes, look on line for park tools maintainance videos, these are very easy to follow. It may be that a simple clean solves the problem.

I would agree with the other comments that there is no great need to get hung up about original parts, especiallty items like bar end caps, as these were most likely genetic plastic.

I hope this helps
Yes. I had a Squadra from the 1980's that came with Ofmega cranks. I currently have Shimano 600 on there, in keeping with the group. But the brakes are Universal.

Top Bottom