Looking to buy one of these bikes. Giant TCR vs Defy available for the same price. Advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stefan_97

-1670330901-6787.jpg

-1670330906-3035.jpg
?hash=89aacf72fb227b3833e42343f1f93c0e.jpg
325171906_5836226753151639_8689515989557716312_n.jpg

Attachments

• 325232852_5522331141208909_367944146854576449_n.jpg
    325232852_5522331141208909_367944146854576449_n.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 11

Jameshow

Veteran
How much road bike riding experience have you.

The TCR will be a more racy position whilst the defy is an endurance orientated road bike.

If your used to a road bike the. Get the TCR if not the defy.

The tcr has a slightly better spec in 9 spd tiagra.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Not sure what the spec of the TCR is, it seems to have a mish mash of components, tiagra chainset, 105 derailleur, who knows what the shifters are but I'm guessing it's 4600 series 10 speed tiagra. The TCR will be lighter and racier than the Defy, the Defy looks like it's an alloy frame, and 9 speed Sora, it'll be heavier, but perhaps more comfortable as the ride position won't require the rider to be quite as flexible as needed for the TCR,. Not sure what material the TCR frame is made with, Giant have produced TCRs in alloy and carbon fibre, but in general I think they stopped producing alloy TCR's for the UK market for quite some while. Potentially the TCR might be a fun purchase IF it's one of the lighter frames.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and :welcome: .

Don't know about the riding experience but I'd say they've both had a fair bit of use, the Defy particularly. Both need new big chainrings so check what else might be worn like BB, wheel bearings, head bearings and rims. Cassette will need replacing too and chain.
None of which is a deal breaker but you can use it as a bargaining chip to reduce the price, probably by a good amount. You don't mention the asking price.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Not sure what the spec of the TCR is, it seems to have a mish mash of components, tiagra chainset, 105 derailleur, who knows what the shifters are but I'm guessing it's 4600 series 10 speed tiagra. The TCR will be lighter and racier than the Defy, the Defy looks like it's an alloy frame, and 9 speed Sora, it'll be heavier, but perhaps more comfortable as the ride position won't require the rider to be quite as flexible as needed for the TCR,. Not sure what material the TCR frame is made with, Giant have produced TCRs in alloy and carbon fibre, but in general I think they stopped producing alloy TCR's for the UK market for quite some while. Potentially the TCR might be a fun purchase IF it's one of the lighter frames.

The OPs profile says he’s in Cape Town rather than UK

13 rider

Guru
Aren't they both Tcrs ,frame with red on has TCR on the fork ,black white one has TCR on top tube .
Looks like both are from around 2015 and have a mix of components changed over the years . If you can't notice any issues with either bike . The one that feels like it fits you best.
If the red one says Defy on the top tube it's definitely had a fork change which suggests an accident be wary of frame damage

Ive know a few older guys struggle with the geometry of the TCR - They are quite different bikes. I loved my Alu defy a few years back.

mustang1

Guru
I'm not referring to the two bikes in the photo, but TCR and Defy frames in general.

The most important thing on a bike is that you get the right size. If you see two bikes and one has full Dura Ace but the other has full Sora, they are both the same price but the DA bike does not fit you, then you should buy the Sora bike.

The Defy frame will make you sit on the bike in a more upright position thus giving more comfort. I think the frame is more compliant too.

For TCR, think stiff frame, think slouched over position for yourself on that bike.

My guess, since you're asking, is that you are not too experienced in drop bar road bikes and for that I would suggest Defy.

But of course it's your call.

Last edited:
Top Bottom