Looking to ID vintage "Sun of Worksop" bicycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Phil Neuron

IMG_0688.JPG
I'd like to find out more about a refurbished "Sun" bike that I've got.
As it has no decals other than the head badge. The other things to go on are lugs are quite a decorative detail and the BB stamp is barely visible. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Ta
IMG_0692.JPG
IMG_0690.JPG
IMG_0704.JPG
IMG_0691.JPG
IMG_0705.JPG
IMG_0706.JPG
image.jpg

OP
OP
Phil Neuron

Phil Neuron

Found some of the stamps. There's a newer restamp on the BB.
The original A5HB
Newer 4334993
On the drop out C9607

OP
OP
Phil Neuron

Phil Neuron

From looking through some previous posts I've found some useful knowledge from Spokesmann. Once I've gotten through my probation I'll PM them.
You could be right that it's as early as the 80's from the BB stamp from the few post that I've read.

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
The Worksop badge puts this from 1962 onwards... that bit is easy. Looks like it does not have wrap over seat stays, so possibly not a Snipe model - they tended to have wrap overs, also the lugs are wrong (they are similar to the later Crespera lugs and the headset lugs look very similar to the Carlton '10' model). Thing that is odd is the frame number prefix letter. C would mean its maybe mid 60s (using the new Sun numbering system)... problem is that Sun adopted the Carlton number approach when Carlton started to make them in the same factory at Kilton Road. However... some people have suggested that the numbering system was restarted then ie at A for c1962, this would place the machine around about 1965 which would be about right. If this had the Carlton numbering, and assuming its mid 60s, it should have a M prefix maybe N. Basically its all very confusing... The all chrome front fork might be a clue to the model, assuming none of the other parts on the bike are original. Checking the VCC library is a good start, they have a few Sun catalogues on there to view. Also I co-run a Sun Group on Facebook - Sun the Birmingham Years, they are a good source of Sun enthusiasts, also there is the excellent Carlton Cycles of Worksop Group too. As to nailing this model, its a bit tough... the lugs don't say Snipe, but the front forks (with their typical Carlton Vagner crown) suggest maybe a Mass Start 100 model, however the lugs dont match... A bit of detective work is needed and maybe some educated guess work. Nothing surprises me about these earlier Suns and Carltons as always something comes along which seems to not fit into any known model or spec...

Drago

Legendary Member
Looks like it's been rebuilt using kit from an early eighties Raleigh. We can be pretty sure Stevie Wonder did the lug lining. Nice bike.

Hi and :welcome:.

You have a nice looking Sun. The rear brake cable mounting suggests that your bike originally had centre pull brakes. In which case you could look at the back of the calipers for the date stamp assuming they are the original equipment. It may help in identifying your model by narrowing down the year if they tally with any of the dates given above.

OP
OP
Phil Neuron

Phil Neuron

IMG_0901.JPG
IMG_0900.JPG
It looks like the seats stays may have been ment to wrap around but the finish could be a bit poor quality. They are tempard and slightly flattened. As for the folks they've been stripped at the top to give an all chrome like finish.

OP
OP
Phil Neuron

Phil Neuron

So glad you posted those links. This is now my third Sun. One I've passed on to a friend but the other I picked for £30 I can now ID as Sunmist sport. It still has the Campag derailleur most original part and not in to bad shape. Pictures to follow soon

So glad you posted those links. This is now my third Sun. One I've passed on to a friend but the other I picked for £30 I can now ID as Sunmist sport. It still has the Campag derailleur most original part and not in to bad shape. Pictures to follow soon
A Sun Mist was my first bike. It would have been a lower spec model than yours, fitted with GB Synchron brakes and Simplex plastic gears.

OP
OP
Phil Neuron

Phil Neuron

I think I'm going to sell this bike now and put funds into the Sunmist and another frame a Viner 1965 special coursa

Top Bottom