Looney Tunes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I wasn't quite sure where to put this - I chose here because many of the policies are counter to the goals of right thinking cycling advocates, but if the mods wish to park it elsewhere then feel free.

Surfing the interweb today I came across this:

https://www.abd.org.uk/

Now, we've all heard of the likes of the Fair fuel loons, and Quentin F***wit, and the pro motoring, anti cycling goals they promote, but these guys seem like the Spanish Inquisition of motoring lobby organisations. Even Nigel Farage would back slowly away from these zealots.

Enjoy.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I wasn't quite sure where to put this - I chose here because many of the policies are counter to the goals of right thinking cycling advocates, but if the mods wish to park it elsewhere then feel free.

Now, we've all heard of the likes of the Fair fuel loons, and Quentin F***wit, and the pro motoring, anti cycling goals they promote, but these guys seem like the Spanish Inquisition of motoring lobby organisations. Even Nigel Farage would back slowly away from these zealots.

Enjoy.
Anti-cyclist, anti-speed cameras, anti-safe speed limits, climate change denying, what’s not to like?

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I am more convinced than ever that the ABD is just five guys in a Wetherspoons, after seeing that they tweeted this a couple of months ago...
20200721_182431.jpg

20200721_181517.jpg

classic33

Leg End Member

Enjoy.
Possibly not.

"The association has also thrown its weight behind Idris Francis, a leading figure in the UK Independence party, who is attempting to sue the government on human rights grounds for forcing him to disclose whether he was the driver of a vehicle caught on camera breaking the speed limit."

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2004/feb/03/transport.world

icowden

Veteran
I think this:

The consent of the British people has never been sought for these schemes – typically they are justified on erroneous environmental grounds when the real facts are ignored

tells you all you need to know. Whenever someone starts talking about "real facts" you know what they actually mean is "I don't like the facts, or understand what facts are - I want what I think to be right".

SGG on a bike

Are those bunch of idiots (ABD) for real?

I see they're anti 20mph speed limits. We've had a slightly odd thing in our village. Since the 20 limit was introduced a few years ago, speeding in the village has increased (the parish council regularly monitors and publishes results). Now, you may be thinking that people are just doing the speed they were before the limit drop, but that's not the case. Part of the reason for the 20 limit is parked vehicles on the main street meaning only one lane open at any time. Since the drop, I regularly see people "racing" to get to the gap so they don't have to give way to the oncoming traffic. The assumption is that the oncoming traffic will be observing the limit, so therefore they have time to get through. The result is vehicles running through the gap at close to double the limit. It's actually quite scary when sitting on a cycle of a motorcycle with them effectively aiming for you. There have been many near misses and it's a regularly discussed topic in parish council meetings. It genuinely wasn't as bad before the limit change, but overall, it has to be said that it's safer as the majority do keep to an appropriate speed. A nearby 30 mph road into the village is also regularly policed by local plod and the community speed watch guys in addition to boxes on the side of the road to record traffic and speed data. Average speed there is usually between 38-45 mph with peaks as high at 80 mph (it's a long straight road). I've lost count of the times I've been overtaken when driving at the speed limit up there. It's also part of one of the NCN routes for good measure, so quite often has a number of cyclists using it. Don't get me wrong, I don't want the 30 limit back in the village and I'm not against the lower limit, but I really do wish people would keep to it for everybody's sake.

icowden

Veteran
I think there needs to be more emphasis on maths in driving tuition.
For example, if you are travelling for 50 miles on the motorway at 70mph it takes 43 minutes. How much time will you save by going at 80mp, 90mph and 100mph respectively?

Answer 5 minutes, 10 minutes, you will be disqualified from driving.
Plus instead of 96m stopping distance you will increase to 121m, 150m and 182m

Given the stress involved of controlling a car at 80 or 90mph is it worth the 5 or 10 minute saving in time - assuming you don't hit congestion or road works? Have you actually realised that your saving is almost certainly going to be less than that? And then there is the extra petrol / diesel cost. Is it really worth it to save 5 or 10 minutes?

The same then applies in macrocosm to local roads. People zoom down Terrace Road near me. The *average* speed of that road however is not 30mph. It's 14mph. So if you are following a cyclist doing 20mph, instead of shouting "GERRONTHECYCLELANEWOTSITFARKINGTHEREFORYUUTWAT" or something similar, a motorist should understand that the cyclist is going to go faster than they are. By the time they have been caught by the lights, stopped because the car in front is turning right or left, or a car has pulled out from the right or left then got caught in the highway traffic lights, the cyclist is almost always going to be waiting at the front of the lights. These people will *always* fail to realise this and become more wound up.

But no, it's a conspiracy to extract money from drivers and make their lives miserable.

Top Bottom