Loony Dook

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
iandg

iandg

Legendary Member
Embra folk are just mental, that's is all

From Stafford originally - Spike Milligan did spend some time at one of the psychiatric hospitals ther though, I believe.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The OP is in Stornoway, which lies directly in the path of the Gulf Stream. Therefore, swimming there is like basking in the warm waters of the Caribbean. Allegedly. I have no intention of finding out! Well done @wicker man :notworthy:.
my Dad tried that line when we went to the Isle of Arran on hols once. Even in August it was freezing, although no worse than the North sea off Whitby, which was home at the time.

Brandane

Legendary Member
my Dad tried that line when we went to the Isle of Arran on hols once. Even in August it was freezing, although no worse than the North sea off Whitby, which was home at the time.
Yebbut..... Arran is sheltered from the Gulf Stream by the Mull of Kintyre. You were actually swimming in the River Clyde which is filled with the run off of water from the hills of west central and southern Scotland. Now that IS cold!

Drago

Legendary Member
Yebbut..... Arran is sheltered from the Gulf Stream by the Mull of Kintyre. You were actually swimming in the River Clyde which is filled with the flushed lavatories of Glasgae and southern Scotland. Now that IS cold!

FTFY.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
westfield 05.jpg

I went for a skinny dip :blush:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
There's an annual Boxing Day dip at Seaburn, near Sunderland.

Which is the North Sea.

However, as one of the lifeboatmen explained to me, the water temperature doesn't vary a great deal between summer and winter - something to do with it being such an enormous expanse of water.

What does vary is the air temperature, but in terms of falling in, you won't die of cold much quicker in winter than you would in summer.

Some general observations here:

https://loneswimmer.com/2010/02/08/ocean-temperature-variation/

Top Bottom