Looong seatpost

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I took the seatpost out of my newish Spa today. It just went on and on!

Would there be any benefit in cutting it down? I'm thinking that having an alloy liner inside the steel seat tube would have an effect on ride quality? I'm not bothered by the odd 100g of weight I'd save.

I'm aware that I'd need to preserve a safe length to secure the post in the seat tube.

Only benefit would be weight and that's minimal. I'd not bother.

a.twiddler

Veteran
When I bought my used steel Revolution Country Explorer back in 2016 (small frame) I couldn't get the saddle low enough to ride it as the seatpost bottomed out with plenty of post still showing. A previous owner had obviously put a much longer one in. As I didn't have a shorter spare of the same diameter I carefully cut an appropriate length off it, chamfering the cut end, and it has been fine since. I've never been troubled with excessively long legs so I didn't expect to be fully extending it at any time.

Perhaps having exposed aluminium against the steel frame might encourage corrosion problems long term if it's anodised but then having a longer than necessary post might give the same result. I haven't tried to remove it recently so I can't comment on that. I would think that greasing it when you assemble it should minimise this likelihood.

As for the weight, with a steel frame, it's insignificant.

Sharky

Guru
I'd buy a replacement, the correct size.
Keep the long one in your spares box. With sloping top tubes and tendency for smaller frames and shorter cranks, it could come in useful in the future. Long/non standard lengths may not be available when you need one.

Top Bottom