Loophole for insurers over E-bikes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
My bikes in the bike storage are insured - for theft in and out of home - but only up to an agreed limit - I've read the t&C's and paid extra to alter bits. If they were all taken I'd lose a lot but it's more likely a thief would take the one(s) that are easiest and leave the bike's that are multi-locked.

So I have a cheap unlocked one by the door just in case.

However, to get to that they'd have to already gone through two locks and not been picked up by several security systems.

Last edited:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Yeahbut how many do? Not trying to excuse those that don’t but it is a fact. If you have things which you not sure about you need to ask the question.

Exactly. YOU need to ask. Don't assume.

I had this problem with Tesco Home Insurance several years ago - I was just renewing and rang to check a few things and just checked what locks etc were needed for the bikes - both are ebikes. The person on the other end of the phone was very helpful and immediatly said that ebikes are not covered - said it came up quite a bit and gave me the policy wording
It doesn't mention ebikes - just said bikes are covered as long as they are not motorised - which they interpreted as not including ebikes

So - a £1000 ebike is not covered but a £2000 road bike IS covered - that was a few years ago - it may have changed

so - nowadays I always ring up and specifically check - and make a note of the date and time of the call because it forms part of the contract if they ever get awkward in the event of a claim.

Just to be clear - this was Tesco - but things may have changed by now so it is worth checking!

D

Deleted member 1258

My bikes in the bike storage are insured - for theft in and out of home - but only up to an agreed limit - I've read the t&C's and paid extra to alter bits. If they were all taken I'd lose a lot but it's more likely a thief would take the one(s) that are easiest and leave the bike's that are multi-locked.

So I have a cheap unlocked one by the door just in case.

However, to get to that they'd have to already gone through two locks and not been picked up by several security systems.

I like your thinking.

byegad

Legendary Member
This is such a common theme. People failing to read T&Cs and then getting upset when they fall foul of the very T&Cs they agreed to. There’s a similar thing at the moment with Netflix, who are clamping down on account sharing across households. “It’s not FAIR!!!” opine the ignorati, yet there it is in the contract they agreed to.
Yes, but!
Some years ago some geek with nothing productive to do looked at the agreements you sign up to with a new computer, microsoft, or apple, have one, as does every app and service you sign up for. It amounted, at a normal reading speed, several days worth of reading. Even if you have good comprehension of the technical terms. So nobody does it.

Reading insurance policies, in detail, is not so arduous, but I'd bet 99.9% of people do not read every word.

classic33

Leg End Member
Is it the insurers to do that? That would set a prescident surely. It Is the policy holders duty to make sure they know what they are buying. After all when you buy a kettle its up to you to make sure it's suitable for your needs not the manufacturer or the seller.
But if you give make and model to the insurance company and the accept that, they'll have agreed to insure it.

kynikos

Veteran
Real world test:
Download and open policy schedule/product information - 45 seconds
Search for bicycle - 0 instances - 10 seconds
Search for bike - 0 instances - 10 seconds
Search for cycle - bingo - <10 instances - 3 minutes to read and digest what's covered:
Unlimited number with a max individual limit of £3,000. Worldwide cover for theft, loss or damage provided (blah blah re security).
(and includes electrically assisted pedal cycles that are not legally required
to pay Vehicle Excise Duty for road use).

So pretty clear and less than 5 minutes...

But if you give make and model to the insurance company and the accept that, they'll have agreed to insure it.
Maybe not - if I put my bike down as "Raleigh Motus" and then had to claim - they would probably try to say that that is not enough of a description and I had not made it clear it was an ebike - but their T&C does makes it clear that anything with a motor is not covered.
They will claim that it is my responsibility to check and not their problems to know every make and model of bike and to know which are ebikes

Although - of course - if I make the slightest mistake on the claim form or when I take out the policy then they will jump on it

You have to make sure they have no way out!

richtea

Here's what our Post Office Gold home insurance says (my emphasis):
Bicycles - covers your bicycle(s) that are worth more than £1,000 against being lost, stolen or damaged as long as the bike(s) are listed on your Policy summary.

I specifically write 'electric' and the model for any avoidance of doubt, i.e.:
- Electric bicycle - Orbea Gain D50 + value

Their doc comes back with that exact wording. Bingo!

Top Bottom