Loose Bar Tape

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

getfit

Hi All,

Just been out for a ride on my new RB, Loving the bike but noticed the bar tape is loose and moving around. I've only covered 40 miles so needless to say the bike has seen very little action.

My question is.....Do I take the bike back to the shop and let them sort it, or should I just bite the bullet and sort myself? It would be easier for me to fix as the shop is a forty mile round trip but I hate the thoughts of them getting off scot free, that said I assume the bike comes from the manufacturer with the bar tape fitted and they are the ones at fault.

GF

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Sort it out yourself - it ain't difficult.

Undo at the stem end, unwind and then re-wrap.

The tape should have a sticky back to it which stops it moving.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
- suppose it depends whether you have to go the 40 miles anyway to get new tape ....... (never had much success myself in re-taping tape).

OP
OP
getfit

getfit

accountantpete said:
Sort it out yourself - it ain't difficult.

Undo at the stem end, unwind and then re-wrap.

The tape should have a sticky back to it which stops it moving.

Fair enough, it ain't difficult and I'm happy to do myself, but before I do the tape doesn't have a sticky back as it's moving all over the place. Is this cheap tape?

GF

OP
OP
getfit

getfit

youngoldbloke said:
- suppose it depends whether you have to go the 40 miles anyway to get new tape ....... (never had much success myself in re-taping tape).

I do have a local bike shop (10 mile round trip) but although I haven't done this before I wouldn't want to make matters worse. I may ride to the shop and see what they say. I feel that the tape wasn't wound tight enough in the first place and a quick fix should be possible using a good sticky tape to secure the bar tape.

GF

OP
OP
getfit

getfit

Gerry Attrick said:
With respect to the previous poster, moving bar tape is as much use as a chocolate fireguard and is certainly not of merchantable quality, nor fit for purpose. Take the bike back to the dealer and politely ask him to sort it.

Ahh, now you see my dilemma! The easy option is to fix myself, but I feel this is letting someone who has been paid to apply the tape get away with their poor work.

GF

OP
OP
getfit

getfit

Gerry Attrick said:
And you will enjoy the return ride to the lbs. A winner every time:biggrin:

I'm not so sure about that, the LBS is all downhill from my house so the reverse is Such Hard Work! ;)

GF

OP
OP
getfit

getfit

Gerry Attrick said:
Ah good, you will then do justice to your forum name:biggrin:

I chose the name in the hope that looking at it would encourage me to get up off my fat ar*e. To limited success. This year I do intend to do the name a little more justice. ;)

GF

Top Bottom