Loose Bottom Bracket. Sugino Impel. Tools and Method advice please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
you may need to exert 300Nm of controlled torque.
To give a further magnitude guide, this is roughly a 90kg person standing on a 12" bar. (Quite a lot of torque!) I can confirm that is about what Iv'e needed to shift BBs in the past. (my wrenches weren't long enough on their own :ohmy: )

Heat helps. I've use a ciggy lighter when I didn't care much about the paint, it made the difference.

OP
OP
Mr Cotter Pin

Mr Cotter Pin

Hello all,
And Much Thanks.
Every contribution has helped to loosen this cup.
To my surprise the cup came quietly.
I used the pipe wrench as pictured.
Because it came so easily I can only assume the oil that I have applied regularly over a number of weeks has helped enormously to ease it.
I was expecting to be able to remove the spindle once the cup was removed and not have to remove/deal with the other cup. But that does not seem to be the case. I'll need to do the same again on the crank side but turn the cup clockwise this time, to undo it.
The crank side cup is different in that firstly it is metal as opposed to plastic and secondly it seems to be shallow in depth in comparison because the extractor tool does not insert into it, quite so far. However I can still bolt the tool into place to avoid it slipping. So I am confident this too should be extractable with what I have. Oil, extractor tool, pipe wrench, time and some beans.
Thanks again everyone.
Happy riding.

Attachments

• IMG_2004.jpg
    IMG_2004.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2006.jpg
    IMG_2006.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2007.jpg
    IMG_2007.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2009.jpg
    IMG_2009.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2010.jpg
    IMG_2010.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 4

Big John

Guru
Whoa. What do you mean by 'crank side'? Do you mean the non-drive side? If so you DON'T turn it clockwise to untighten it. You turn it anti clockwise. Drive side undo by turning clockwise, non-drive side turn it anti clockwise. You may have meant to type 'anti clockwise' but its definitely typed 'clockwise'. Just to be doubly sure TURN IT ANTI CLOCKWISE on the non-drive side to remove the cup.

OP
OP
Mr Cotter Pin

Mr Cotter Pin

Whoa. What do you mean by 'crank side'? Do you mean the non-drive side? If so you DON'T turn it clockwise to untighten it. You turn it anti clockwise. Drive side undo by turning clockwise, non-drive side turn it anti clockwise. You may have meant to type 'anti clockwise' but its definitely typed 'clockwise'. Just to be doubly sure TURN IT ANTI CLOCKWISE on the non-drive side to remove the cup.
Apologies and Thanks Big John. I should have said, Drive Side or Chainwheel Side.

Top Bottom