loose quill stem?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

young Ed

Veteran
my quill stem is working it's way looses so i tightened it up yesterday at school before the ride home and now after 15 miles it is slowly coming loose again. any ideas as to what to do?
only really noticeable audibly when standing and pedalling up hill or so
Cheers Ed

Sharky

Guru
There should be two tightening nuts or rings and the lower one is tightened until it eliminates the play, then the higher one should be tightened as a lock nut at the same time as holding the lower in in a fixed position. But must admit, when I had quill stems, I always eventually had loosening headsets and whenever I tried to tighten it, I always left it too loose or made the steering too tight.

I think this is where the ahead system really scores as they are so easy to adjust and get just right.

Maybe a case for the lbs, as it will only take them a couple of mins and they should have all the right tools.
Good luck
Keith

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
There should be two tightening nuts or rings and the lower one is tightened until it eliminates the play, then the higher one should be tightened as a lock nut at the same time as holding the lower in in a fixed position. But must admit, when I had quill stems, I always eventually had loosening headsets and whenever I tried to tighten it, I always left it too loose or made the steering too tight.

I think this is where the ahead system really scores as they are so easy to adjust and get just right.

Maybe a case for the lbs, as it will only take them a couple of mins and they should have all the right tools.
Good luck
Keith
headset bearings are fine, just the stem
won't go to LBS as i have all the right tools to rebuild whole bike and i have the knowledge :tongue:
Cheers Ed

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
my quill stem is working it's way looses so i tightened it up yesterday at school before the ride home and now after 15 miles it is slowly coming loose again. any ideas as to what to do?
only really noticeable audibly when standing and pedalling up hill or so
Cheers Ed

You might have inserted the stem too deep into the steerer, many steerers are tapered nearer the bottom - if the expander is there it will come loose very easily. As usual Sheldon wrote about it.

Widge

Baldy Go
won't go to LBS as i have all the right tools to rebuild whole bike and i have the knowledge :tongue:
Cheers Ed

I can remember when quill stems were common they could very easily become loose and and altogether a bit of a pain.

Are you riding and maintaining a 'retro' or vintage bike? I don't understand why you have all the tools and knowledge but aren't using the far simpler and reliable user friendly aheadset system otherwise?:wacko: I can understand people continuing to use 'quills' on an old-skool bike.......but aheadsets/simple clamp-down stems have been the standard during the last 25 I have been riding and maintainng bikes. So easy to maintain.

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
I can remember when quill stems were common they could very easily become loose and and altogether a bit of a pain.

Are you riding and maintaining a 'retro' or vintage bike? I don't understand why you have all the tools and knowledge but aren't using the far simpler and reliable user friendly aheadset system otherwise?:wacko: I can understand people continuing to use 'quills' on an old-skool bike.......but aheadsets/simple clamp-down stems have been the standard during the last 25 I have been riding and maintainng bikes. So easy to maintain.
riding a cheap sh**e modern hybrid bike so the quill stem is due to price

i have all the basic tools as i only expect the ba***rd to break on me! i haven't converted to a-head headset thingy due to the quill working fine until now and the cost involved in changing the forks etc
Cheers Ed

pete sadler

Cheers Ed
If it is just the quill stem working loose, I have had this happen to me, can be scary,? first make sure headset is adjusted correctly. then with quill stems which are usually older systems now, you can find a sweet spot, where the expander bolt has made a larger portion of the forks expand. So to start again, loosen off expander bolt, rotate quill stem, and turn until you feel the expander bolt biting, then try to move quill stem up down, looking for a loose spot, this is your expanded point, you need to tighten expander bolt into this (sweet spot). all sorted, at least this worked for me. Bye for now.Pete.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Is it coming loose or just creaking. If creaking just grease it up. Otherwise, think about a replacement if it's that rubbish.

ayceejay

Guru
You guys prolly forget that time in your youth that young Ed reminds me of.
We are so used to money being the solution regardless of the problem that we tend to dismiss the stuff that Ed brings to the board.
Sure he exaggerates his knowledge and toolbox and stuff but personally I can forgive that because of his enthusiasm and anyone who made a bike from bits thrown on the riverbank and a stick for handlebars will recognize the spirit he shows that is the spirit of this forum.

Sharky

Guru
Cheers Ed
Hi Ed, I think I misunderstood your original post. Have you fixed it yet?
Can you describe the symptoms a bit better. When you say loose - what is moving? If the whole quill is loose, then you have lost your steering? If it is just the expander bolt nut that is coming loose, but your steering stays firm, then the internal expander nut must still be firmly in place. Could be corroded and seized in place?

Hope you fix it

Keith

Top Bottom