Loose Weight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
If you are riding 20 miles 3 or 4 times a week I'd say it won't be long before you become exhausted. Really. Seriously. At that rate you are not giving yourself enough time to recover between rides and especially if you are under-eating you will become tired and run-down. Don't forget that the rest is as important as the exercise; there's plenty on the web about recovery times etc. Also you don't mention your diet - are you eating plenty of fresh fruit and veg and quality carbs and proteins?

There's also the question of boredom and mental freshness - I couldn't ride that distance three or four times a week, I woud soon be hankering for a slob-out in front of the TV.

jimboalee

Matty said:
crumbs, what a reply for newbie!

Am I to assume an intellegent adult who is determined to lose weight and rides upto 100 miles per week, does not know what a kcal is?

jimboalee

Rigid Raider said:
If you are riding 20 miles 3 or 4 times a week I'd say it won't be long before you become exhausted. Really. Seriously. At that rate you are not giving yourself enough time to recover between rides and especially if you are under-eating you will become tired and run-down. Don't forget that the rest is as important as the exercise; there's plenty on the web about recovery times etc. Also you don't mention your diet - are you eating plenty of fresh fruit and veg and quality carbs and proteins?

There's also the question of boredom and mental freshness - I couldn't ride that distance three or four times a week, I woud soon be hankering for a slob-out in front of the TV.

There are thousands upon thousands of cyclists ( many multiples of the membership of this chatboard ) who ride 20 miles per day (commute) 5 days per week, with no ill effect whatsoever.
Some of them arrive home and decorate their homes, fix up old cars, play footy, go horse riding, swimming with the kids, dig the garden,; the list is endless.

Garz

Squat Member
jimboalee said:
There are thousands upon thousands of cyclists ( many multiples of the membership of this chatboard ) who ride 20 miles per day (commute) 5 days per week, with no ill effect whatsoever.
Some of them arrive home and decorate their homes, fix up old cars, play footy, go horse riding, swimming with the kids, dig the garden,; the list is endless.

Some may even attempt to strip and rebuild a BSA 20 into something more befitting a 'racing snake'.

jimboalee

Garz said:
Some may even attempt to strip and rebuild a BSA 20 into something more befitting a 'racing snake'.

That's spooky.

I was looking through an old Raleigh catalogue last night after my 14 mile commute home.
It was a catalogue for the original Chopper.

Now, I couldn't decide the colour of my BSA rebuild.

Tangerine, Lime green or Violet???

With Chromed mudguards :thumbsup:

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Rigid Raider said:

Please understand that I am not 'flaming' but this anecdotal reply is - in a word- twaddle.
Not that many are going to take your advice seriously if your own exercises levels are low and unfocussed.
Vanilla statements like 'consume quality carbs and proteins' do nothing to assist.

SoulOnIce

jimboalee said:
Want to lose fat?

Here's a big clue.

It was 6 Celsius this morning with a 10 mph side wind. I was wearing a long sleeve jersey and shorts.

The energy breakdown of my 14 mile ride was :-

Tractive motion – 1.7 kcals/min
Windchill on bare skin – 1.6 kcals/min
Thermoconductivity through damp lycra – 3.8 kcals/min
Evaporation of sweat – 0.3 kcals/min

Est Total inc BMR = 8.6 kcals/min

If I was to wrap up in thick coats and leggings, with thick gloves and oversoes, I wouldn't be shifting the 5.2 kcals/min through windchill and Thermoconductivity of damp lycra, I'd be shifting less than 1 kcals/min through the thick clothing, effectively HALVING my calorific expenditure and therefore HALVING my eventual fat loss.

LOL - I love your nerdie responses. Though I wish I could recall my science and engineering better so I could establish if what you are saying is correct.

But I have to say I've always thought exercising in the cold had to expend more energy than in a milder climate.

My quest for a reduction in my girth will now involve me wearing only a single layer when cycling. If I get skinny you can have the credit.

Garz

Squat Member
SoulOnIce said:
My quest for a reduction in my girth will now involve me wearing only a single layer when cycling. If I get skinny you can have the credit.

Written quotations on request, conditions apply (mainly jim not responsible if you catch hypothermia, no claims accepted). :laugh:

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
hi charlotte

thinking about the sports behind training - weight loss has never been a thing of mine but it tends to be covered in training books etc. Counter intuitively what you need to look at is your diet - I think Gail Bernhardt's book for Women cyclists mentions upping the amount you eat to kickstart the metabolism and eating plenty of fresh fruit and veg, carbs and protein and also a good proportion of healthy fat. From memory I think it was 1/3 of carbs, 1/3 of fats and 1/3protein. The most important thing Gail wrote as she used to be a racing cyclist was that a change in diet to eat more rather than being restrictive helped and she said when she stopped obsessing about her weight it got easier.I would also recommend just getting out on the bike to just enjoy it and the focus changes. How long have you been cycling for? This will give an idea of what type of training/cycling you should focus on ie distance or speed. To lose weight you probably need to initially focus on low intensity stuff and longer distances to get the body building up so that it can cycle more efficiently over time and part of that is the body getting rid of excess fat and also learning to burn off fat more. Then if you want a challenge and have been cycling for some time get on the speed work but don't try too soon as you'll get sick from working at too high a rate. As others have said rest days are very important. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom