Loosing weight make you faster?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am about 5'7 and about 175lbs. I like to loose more weight.

Now if i loose weight, would that make my ride faster?

I am mid 30's. age male.

Suggestions?

compo

Veteran
As someone who has put a lot of weight on I have slowed down a lot so I guess the reverse should be true. You will certainly climb easier, but slow a touch on the descents!

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
In short - yes. Up to a point, of course... and don't forget you will become a little slower downhill, if you become lighter. The benefits of climbing faster and being generally quicker will outweigh this fact, imho.

Yep. Lighter, more aero (less of you). Just watch the weight loss with muscles. Plenty of figures banded around but #25% of weight loss may be lean tissue. There's plenty of ideas on how eating protein and exercising your muscles might help with this but that could be a thread in itself. T'internet searches help with that one.

your power to weight ratio will increase if you lose weight - so the answer is yes. Assuming you don't lose power as you lose weight....

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have lost over stone over the last couple of years and climbing and keeping up a decent pace certainly seem a lot easier , i am 5 foot7 an went from12 stone to 10 tone 10 llbs .

montage

God Almighty
Big time

Top Bottom