Lost and found hikers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I watched BBC breakfast this morning. The BBC breakfast presenters saying he was well prepared. I’m sorry but firstly getting separated when there are just two of you. Secondly the guy who got benighted for two nights. He didn’t have the basics of a paper map and compass and survival bag. The presenters didn’t question him on why not. He certainly was not well prepared. I don’t know whether he had the other basics like a head torch and whistle.

Reactions: DRM

DRM

Guru
I saw some of it, and couldn’t help thinking how Ill prepared and downright stupid they were, yet the BBC presenters never questioned it, yet someone has to go out and rescue people like those two.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
but firstly getting separated when there are just two of you.
If you think it is easy to stay together, then you have never been in those conditions. I have known it happen to very experienced people. It is simple to lose someone, startlingly simple in fact.
Secondly the guy who got benighted for two nights.
He did ok, found shelter, kept himself alive, headed for an area that looked like it may have some traffic.
He didn’t have the basics of a paper map and compass and survival bag.
Maybe his mate did. Again, that doesn't deserve too much criticism. It happens.
I don’t know whether he had the other basics like a head torch and whistle.
Yes, he did.

I think he did ok actually.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
During my 12 year military career I spent 2 months in winter with the Ullswater Mountain Rescue team. You get to realise how easy it is to die out there and how easy it is to stay alive. Even now, when we go for walks in the wood we take day packs with water , food, waterproofs, clothing and a compass. Now winter is coming in we will take a sleeping bag and a bivvy bag. We are talking 10km walks, not expeditions. But it can go wrong so quickly.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
During my 12 year military career I spent 2 months in winter with the Ullswater Mountain Rescue team. You get to realise how easy it is to die out there and how easy it is to stay alive. Even now, when we go for walks in the wood we take day packs with water , food, waterproofs, clothing and a compass. Now winter is coming in we will take a sleeping bag and a bivvy bag. We are talking 10km walks, not expeditions. But it can go wrong so quickly.

Well you're all going to be fine then.

I'm pretty 'prepared' generally, but I'm not sure I'd take a bivvi bag on a 10k walk in the woods..

Especially if I'm running... Mind you carrying all that would keep me even fitter !!

I could become a marine!!

Joking aside I don't think I'd venture into the Cairngorms in October without some form of proper shelter, even if I wasn't planning on an overnighter.

They say you 'pack your fears'

And I've had it opined on occasion, that I have 'too many' clothes, and too much food, in my pack.

But I hate being cold or hungry :sad:

And just now and then I've been able to feed a fellow 'hungry hiker'

This should be the minimum standard; if you can't show evidence of this (or equivalent) training, no entry allowed to National Parks. Simples.

I bet the wildlife would love it though...

On the bike- riding front I often take "way too much" food by many folks standards but I like to be safe than sorry and want to avoid the bonk at all costs - paid off on a recent ride - I was supposed to be freecamping for one night - I made worse time than anticipated, it was getting dark and absolutely chucking it down so although only 2 to 3 hours from the planned station hop-on I free camped for a second night (forecast showed that the heavy rain would clear overnight) and was fine - Lidl wine gums for evening meal, three mini Lidl pork pies for breakfast. And still food to spare.

I've known folk on day rides have to nip into a shop for food/energy to get them home - not for me.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
If you think it is easy to stay together, then you have never been in those conditions. I have known it happen to very experienced people. It is simple to lose someone, startlingly simple in fact.

Been out in all sort of conditions over 4 decades. It is easy to stick together if you are competent, paying attention, and concentrating. Getting separated is down to pure lack of attention and concentration. Even for your experienced mates. They got complacent.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
It is easy to stick together if you are competent, paying attention, and concentrating. Getting separated is down to pure lack of attention and concentration.
Sorry, but I just disagree. All sorts of things can conspire to get people separated. Yes you should take care and concentrate, but it happens. Ask any parent who has turned around in the supermarket and their kid isn't there.
it is not inevitable you’ll get separated,
No, but no-one said it was 'inevitable'
It takes a special kind of complacency to achieve.
Or a special kind of conditions. I can't be the only one on here who has been in proper 'I can't see the hand in front of my face situations'? I have certainly been in howling wind where communication is impossible, with the visibility where I couldn't see my feet. We both independently took the decision to sit down and wrap up, and when it cleared we were way further apart than we imagined, maybe 75m or so, I would have sworn he was 3m away from me. That was also on Dartmoor, not the Cairngorms!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Sorry, but I just disagree. All sorts of things can conspire to get people separated. Yes you should take care and concentrate, but it happens. Ask any parent who has turned around in the supermarket and their kid isn't there.

Two grown adults getting separated on a quiet Cairngorm plateau is vastly different to a small child wandering off in a busy supermarket ! 😂

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Two grown adults getting separated on a quiet Cairngorm plateau is vastly different to a small child wandering off in a busy supermarket ! 😂

It is I agree, and in low visibility conditions you need to take extra care.

it's easy for one person to get ahead , or behind quite quickly, if it's windy , and you've got your hood up, you're concentrating on where you're putting your feet , it only takes a minute to drift apart.

Or someone stops for a wee or to adjust their pack, get some water etc, they think they've called for the other person to wait, but...

In those kind of conditions both parties should really have their own independent means of navigating and surviving .

Of course they both did survive.

Thankfully , but it sounds like it could have gone badly wrong if the weather had been worse.

Top Bottom