Lost & Confused elderly Lady

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Happened to us when we first moved in to this house but this was a chap. He was pleading for us to believe him when he said it was the altitude that made him all confused when he was in the RAF and had flown many missions over Germany in Halifaxes during WWII. The street he'd lived on had apparently made way for our new houses.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Elderly retired nurse was declared unfit to drive and her car was given to the local garage to sell on her behalf. She was walking past the garage one day and was told her car had been sold for a good price.
" Oh good" she said " I can use the money to buy another one".
She was soon moved to a care home where my DIL was the administrator.

OP
OP
G

gary r

Guru
OK a quick update , I cycled round to her house and saw a neighbour unloading her car, I asked about the elderly lady and her neighbour told me she has dementia and keeps setting of the house alarm and turning of the power etc.so I called 101 and they are going to make some checks

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I've had similar where a confused elderly woman would keep calling my work phone, this went on for quite a few days. I felt a bit bad about it but managed to get her address from her.

Called the police in her town and explained the situation, and that I was worried about her and could they do a well being (don't know if that's what they call it in the UK) check on her.

To my absolute horror they called me back and said she was OK..... And then.... did I want to file a harassment complaint against her? To be fair the person on the other end of the phone did sound a bit embarrassed about it, it sounded like he was obliged to ask. I think I was pretty clear I didn't!

Anyway this woman is someone's loved family member, glad you followed up.

Drago

Legendary Member
Yes, unfer the government 'accounting'rules for crime recording they have to record it, and once it exists on paper they then have to progress it. They were probably very glad you said "no", because if you hadn't theyd have had to waste time and resporces following it up until it was officially sunstantiated that the poor woman was batty (ie, a Doctors letter or similar) when they already unofficially know full well the poor lady meant you no harm.

Thank fully youve said no, so they can now exercise professional discretion on the basis that its not in the public interest to follow up on it without a supportive victim, and without the victims cooperation there is no reasomable prospect of a successful crime outcome, but the crime remains on record for all time (well, at least 7 years).

Thank the Home Office and the HMIC.

Last edited:

DRM

Guru
Had a very similar experience at a friends farm, old chap pulled into the yard, got out of his car, went into the house, luckily they knew him, turns out his daughter had been a previous occupant and he’d called to see her, his family were informed, and I tried to shut the gate, but he got in the car and shot off, before we could stop him as it turned out he had dementia and the car keys had been hidden, somehow he’d found them and went driving round, then called in to where he thought his daughter lived, he vanished and we actually went looking for him round all the villages, his son phoned later to say they’d found him and got him home safely, we twigged something wasn’t right as he seemed really confused and we were concerned that if he parked up and walked off he would get totally lost as it was in a really sparsely populated rural area.

Top Bottom