Lost my cool.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alan Whicker

On Fenchurch street this morning, a silver van turned left in front of me without looking or indicating. It was a very near miss indeed and I'm sorry to say I lost my cool ;), so, sorry to any of the 6 or so cyclists behind me and peds nearby who heard my string of expletives. I hate public swearing and I let myself down. Just couldn't help it.

To the cabbie who shouted "Well, you shouldn't try and overtake on the left, you c***" (I was doing nothing of the sort) - you've just guaranteed that I never give a tip to a cab driver again. Not until a driver does a positive to erase this negative, anyway.

scouserinlondon

You should have shouted at the cabbie too, calling them racist vitriolic c**ts is pretty accurate imo.

ChrisKH

Guru
It is a pig that road. I tend to adopt a Zen like approach to certain streets, that being one as it is almost certain that someone (motorbike, car, van, cyclist, ped) will do something naughty. Count to ten and breathe.......

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Guilty as charged. I've never been proud of the times I've lost my cool, although that adrenaline rush of a near-death moment makes it difficult to issue a whithering yet witty putdown that doesn't include the word 'c***'.

I always find it amusing when I get chastised for swearing in my videos. I think I do a pretty good job of keeping cool with only the odd expletive here and there.

Having the camera helps to keep me a little more Zen'ed than I would be without it. Knowing that you have an incident on camera tends to calm me down.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
magnatom said:
I always find it amusing when I get chastised for swearing in my videos. I think I do a pretty good job of keeping cool with only the odd expletive here and there.

Having the camera helps to keep me a little more Zen'ed than I would be without it. Knowing that you have an incident on camera tends to calm me down.
I try to minimise the swearing... but usually fail. I've now taken to bleeping it out, just to protect those of a sensitive nature. :evil:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Alan Whicker said:
Not until a driver does a positive to erase this negative, anyway.

Will this do.

Saw a taxi slam on the emmergency brakes (with the full "squealling and smoke" experience) to avoid taking out a scooter that had shot out across his path from behind a stationary bus (obviously thought the road was jammed to a standstill ahead)

Cabbi was doing about 30mpg and the scooter chap was in a suit on a C1 BMW (hamster wheel type-a-bike)...he came within inches of certain death and seemed TOTALLY oblivious. the cabbi stopped (with his car skidded at a real angle across the road) and was visibly shaken, looking about the place in disbelief.

Happened just behind the memorial Hospital off the embankment at about 12.30.....if you know anyone who rides a C1 and wears a brown suit (with even browner trousers no doubt) and who rides in this area around midday, then do me a favour and throw their keys out of the nearest window...it may just save his life.

and also, can you give him a good slap... from me.

Jonny

jmaccyd

scouserinlondon said:
You should have shouted at the cabbie too, calling them racist vitriolic c**ts is pretty accurate imo.

I drive a cab and have stood up to racism all my life. Of course a statement like that is indicitave of a similar thought process that rascists engage in (ie the general sterotyping of groups in society) Still i am sure you are not working at the mo and earn a good living by knicking stuff;)

Tynan

Veteran
dangerous road, I do it each direction every weekday, always inn primary, always at a modest pace and with brakes covered

didn't stop me being hit by someone pulling out from the left last month and scaring the shoot out of a ped every single month, theres smething crazy about that road

chap

Veteran
Taxi drivers: living proof that memory does not signify intellence

Alan Whicker said:
On Fenchurch street this morning, a silver van turned left in front of me without looking or indicating. It was a very near miss indeed and I'm sorry to say I lost my cool :smile:, so, sorry to any of the 6 or so cyclists behind me and peds nearby who heard my string of expletives. I hate public swearing and I let myself down. Just couldn't help it.

To the cabbie who shouted "Well, you shouldn't try and overtake on the left, you c***" (I was doing nothing of the sort) - you've just guaranteed that I never give a tip to a cab driver again. Not until a driver does a positive to erase this negative, anyway.

Sorry to hear it, and few things are more irritable (after during such near-misses) than a back-seat burner yelling codswallop.

Alas many taxi drivers (esp. in London) do not do their profession proud. Despite the admirable feat of memorising every road in London, all illusions of intelligence are severly dimmed upon the first 5 minutes of them opening their mouths to spew forth the sort of drivel one would expect from an imbecile who had never left his street for fear of Goblins and Bogeymen, as told in tales of the Sun and Daily Mail.

Nonetheless, save this retort for next time:
"Get back to the fields, you peasant!"

Top Bottom