Lost my pump...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kell

Veteran
My pump's come off somewhere and I need to get a replacement.

If I'm honest, I thought the standard pump and the way it was fitted didn't make much sense to me. Mine looked like it was filling with water and rusting. Seemed like it was on completely the wrong way around.

What are people's thoughts for replacements?

Like for like, or get something different and mount it somewhere more sensible?

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
As I have the Monkii Clip fitted to my stem, I was thinking of one of a Lezyne Pressure Drive Small:

Lezyne-Pressure-Drive-Mini-ABS-Pump-Small-Manual-Pumps-Black-L-1-MP-PRSDR-V2S04-0.jpg

Which comes with the following clip:

full23937.jpg

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
I am.

I remember about three or four weeks ago hearing something clattering to the ground behind me. But as my rear light was still attached, I didn't (at the time) twig what it was.

To me, the way the standard pump's mounted (or designed) means it's fitted with the exposed part of the handle facing up as per:

13055275_10153387180696021_5022350487142906857_o.jpg

This would then fill up with water and mine certainly looked like it was rusting.

reppans

The red sleeve/gasket thing also seems to be a sort of lock so a bad bump doesn't inadvertently compress the pump spring, potentially flinging the thing into your spokes and locking up a wheel. Always wondered how waterproof it might be - I guess not.

One solution might be to simply drill a few holes at the end of the handle to let any collected water drain, and to allow inside to dry out. Otherwise I'll +1 for those tiny Lezyne pumps stored in a seat tube (although mine is already packed with other stuff).

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
The Brompton pump is one of those mysterious objects, like the indicators on a BMW or the door close button on a lift, which serves no useful purpose whatsoever, so must, however unlikely it seems, be intended as an ornament.

It's useless. In order to get a pump that small up to the 100-odd psi you need to roll a Brompton tyre smoothly you need a mini trackpump that you can push against the ground. I now have three of things, two of which are the more modern design; the other one is a 1990s version. If you really want one you're welcome to my brand new one. But I wouldn't recommend it.

My suggestion would be to fit Marathons or Marathon pluses, keep them well inflated at home and make sure you have the number of a taxi firm or a bus or tube timetable app for when you're commuting and you run over a six-inch nail. It'll be quicker, and you can change the puncture at leisure. If you're touring and have plenty of time, then any of the mini-track-pumps which fit Schrader valves will do.

12boy

Guru
I vote for a lezyne.....I have two and they work very well. I made a canvas cloth with pockets for allen wrenches, the lezyne pump, an innertube, tire irons, a cut down 15 mm wrench for wheel nuts and some Park instant patches. I roll it up, tie a string around it and it goes in my bike bag. I have another identical roll I carry for 700 c bikes with a 700 c tube. I like the lezynes because they screw onto the valve stem and do not have a lever to lock it down. Getting the right angle for the fill tube can be tricky but it works flawlessly. It gets them fairly well pumped up especially with 349 tires. The lezynes do come with a nice clip but I like mine protected from the weather.

Top Bottom