Lots of newbie questions - sorry!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafflycat

purplemoon said:
Thank you :rofl:

I tell you, I got such a buzz from going out on the bike yesterday I can't wait to go back over there and explore more of the tracks, although I think it will be a long while before I even think of attempting the black route ;)

I'm thinking that it would be a good idea to kit myself out with a proper helmet too, any recommendations for a decent one, preferably in purple? :blush:

Lids... saddles...

Both very personal things. In both cases, fit is what is important. Example - my backside is enveloped in clouds of comfort on my Terry Liberator saddles (RaceLite on the road bike, TiLite on the tourer) and I can be on the bike all day and suffer no discomfort as long as I'm on those saddles & padded cycle shorts. Lids - my head is Met shaped. Of course the saddle issue disappears completely when on my mobile deckchair (recumbent trike)

wafflycat

RedBike said:
Don't go for a Gel seat. On longer rides heavily padded saddles tend to quickly become very uncomfortable. They put pressure on parts of your body you'd rather they wouldn't and they impede your leg movement.

Ne'er a truer word spoken!

wafflycat

Yes. One was purchased by a friend of mine earlier this year. It is breaking in her rear end :biggrin: Whereas my Terry saddles are comfortable from day 1 :smile:

But saddles are a very indivdual thing

Hello, another Cambs/Suffolk girlie here (I live in Newmarket, someone has to I suppose).

Re saddles, I found the cheapie saddle that came with the bike to be fine, but I think it's luck - it just happens to be the right width/length. I don't get on with 'comfort' saddles at all.

I've been meaning to try those skort things, they sound quite good.

And I don't bother with a helmet, I need to cover my ears up so I find a wooly hat is more useful. I do have one though - in purple! from Giro - think it was from Halfords, a few years ago though.

Prepare to spend money on kit.............

OP
OP
purplemoon

purplemoon

Hiya!

You live just down the road from me then ;)

Perhaps you could tell me whether the cycle shop (Revel Outdoors) in Newmarket is any good? I was thinking of popping down there this afternoon to have a look around and possibly pick up a few bits and pieces I might need.

Hi Purplemoon,

Bit late if you went down there on Tuesday but...I haven't used them much. Stupid maybe being as how they're on the doorstep! But I work in Cambridge which has an over-abundance of bike shops, and mostly leave the bike in Cambridge, so if anything needs doing, it's not in Newmarket....

The shop that used to be there, was not great - a few years ago they sold me some great clunky lights that actually had little light bulbs in them and used 2 d-size batteries a week, also they only had one inner tube in stock (???).

HOWEVER it's new people now, they seem to know what they are talking about, plus you see 'serious' cyclists popping in there...I'd give it a go!! They have some nice bikes in there...........................

OP
OP
purplemoon

purplemoon

Hi Morrisette,

I still haven't managed to get down there yet but if their website is anything to go by they certainly do seem to know their bikes, plus they appear to stock Giants, which is what I own, so no doubt know a thing or two about them should anything go wrong with it.

I'll let you know what they're like when I've been in :laugh:

OP
OP
purplemoon

purplemoon

Morrisette said:
Wow, not seen their website before, it does look good - I think the shop must be a lot better than it's previous incarnation...........

I've just been down there this afternoon to pick up a few bits and pieces and was impressed. They appear to have just about everything you could possibly need, even for the most serious cyclists, and if not I'm sure they would be able to order things in. They have some superb bikes in there too. My boy was drooling over some of them :biggrin:

They even managed to kit me out with some proper padded cycling shorts that actually fit too! :tongue:

Top Bottom