Lottery Funding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

How does it work for sports?

I take it sports like swimming (and probably athletics) which have not delivered in the Olympics will have their funding cut, whilst others (e.g. sailing, rowing, cycling, boxing) who have done well will get more?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
As with many things, rather like cycling campaigning there's a very complicated system of grants and pots of money and matched money that goes to UK Sport.

The best summary I could find was this http://www.lotteryfunding.org.uk/uk/uk-sport/ and you can look in sportengland and sportscotland that explains other things.

My sister didn't really understand it and she worked in that sort of area.

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

Also, I noticed an article which highlighted that to date 50% of the GB medals have been Scottish but Team GB only has 9% scots in the team. Surely we should get more money than you sad lot? :laugh:

snorri

Legendary Member
Once the olympics is overe a lot of the funding will be cut, :whistle:

Is that a fact? I had understood Lottery funding for local sports clubs around the UK had been cut in order to pay for the limpics, and would have hoped this funding would come back on stream once the circus is over in London.

marinyork

Is that a fact? I had understood Lottery funding for local sports clubs around the UK had been cut in order to pay for the limpics, and would have hoped this funding would come back on stream once the circus is over in London.

I would point out (out of past history), that if the tap comes back on stream for sports, it doesn't necessarily mean it is a good thing. Sadly, sometimes cuts lead to irreparable damage i.e. closures.

snorri

Legendary Member
Sorry I don't understand your last posting marinyork, you appear to be saying it would be bad if Lottery funding were to be restored, but the cuts have also been bad?? Can you clarify please?

marinyork

Sorry I don't understand your last posting marinyork, you appear to be saying it would be bad if Lottery funding were to be restored, but the cuts have also been bad?? Can you clarify please?

Sometimes it is 'too late'. Just pointing out that cuts can lead to closures of facilities and sometimes even money can't bring them back (and even then not on a like for like basis). If you want I can go into specific examples, but I'd have thought enough people know about olympic/commonwealth/other sporting event funding to know this can happen unfortunately.

There were some commentary remarks that judo funding would have been cut if there hadn't been a couple of medals to secure it.

Brings up the whole issue of funding for all sports or just those in which there may be a chance of a medal at some point. But then surely its a chicken/egg thing?

Top Bottom