Lottery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ASC1951

Guru
It's called the sunk cost fallacy. But I know just what you mean!
Er, no it isn't. The sunk costs fallacy is when an asset retains the cost of purchase/creation and that irrationally influences a decision whether to sell. In this case Upsidedown's concern is entirely rational - the syndicate will continue buying tickets whether he is in it or not, but if it has a big win without him he could indeed be the only one still working.

Cubist

Still wavin'
A lad on my team won 2.75 million. He continued to work for a further four months whilst trying to think of the best way to tell everyone. Eventually he was due a bollocking for some minor matter, and that swung him. He took the sergeant to his locker and showed him a photocopy of the cheque, then said he'd finally decided to resgn.

We still see him occasionally, and he hasn't even bought us a f*cking drink. Twat.

montage

God Almighty
I don't buy lottery tickets, and I've no interest in being given a huge sum of money. Sadly I'm one of those people thats likely to lose the plot and blow it all on dumb stuff and be skint again within a couple of years. I imagine being skint after having loads of money is far worse than never having it in the first place!

yes you would be skint, but you would also have lots of nice things like mingemobiles

Night Train

Maker of Things
If I won a very large amount, or even a moderately large amount, I wouldn't tell anyone.

I would carry on as before while the money sits in the bank gaining interest for a while. I would set up trust funds for the children in my life, not tell them, but let it drip feed them smaller amounts every now and again as 'gifts' so they don't get used to it. It will be there when they really need it and know what to do with it.
I would do likewise for some charities so they get a regular contribution indefinately but no one off lump sum.

Then I would work out who really matters to me and slowly fade away from the rest of the social group so that no one missed me, or at least not for long.
I could then use the money to do some good without unwanted 'friends' and neighbours giving me grief for not sharing it with them.

So if I gradually stop posting.... :ph34r:

Top Bottom