Love of winter commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ste T.

Guru
Does anybody else really love winter commuting?
I don't know if I am a bit odd, but I really enjoy it. The worse the weather, the darker the night the better. As the fare weather cyclist, where I work, put them away for the winter and give me pitying looks,I love the challenge and look forward to my ride home even more. This years ice and snow was a joy to me and I'm looking forward to this winter hoping we get something like it again. It maybe because it's only 7 miles but a fast run home, jump in the shower and down stairs to my tea in front of a roaring fire sets me up for the night. Am I the only loon? :blush:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
No - are you insane?

People are happier, less huddled, prepared to talk and smile at you, the sun shines and warms you ... how could you love winter.

There is a gentle hint in my username!

Fattman

I half agree! There is something fabulous about freezing cold mornings when the ice forms on your gloves and legs, and deeply satisfying about getting through the don't-f-with-me head-down and go nature of a torrential downpour... but I loathe, despise and fear riding in traffic in the dark in the wet. All I can see in my mind as I hear cars coming up behind is the image of someone tired in a badly ventilated car with poor visibility. I know it's just in my head but there you go!

I fix this by riding the 30 mile route one way in the morning (daylight) and most of the way back by train in the evening. Then all I have to contend with is the disdain of the no-soaked-and-filthy other passengers!

I'm with you Ste t, The more adverse the weather the greater the challenge and the higher the satisfaction when you make it to were ever you are going.

I can remember getting into work one snowy day this winter just gone ( I work for a local council) and the chap in the office saying If you can manage a trip from Wolverhampton to Dudley on a bicycle how come half of the others cannot make it from locally in a car ! !0 minutes later I was sent home but at least I had proved a point.

Although I rarely travel home in the dark from work you cannot beat comming home to a nice warm wood burner after a good ride and the thought ( in my case) that the winter heating fuels have only cost me £20 quid or so.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
I love the cold-fresh, dark evening and mornings yes, the lack of wind also helps, but when it rains and or snows I start wishing for summer again.

Bayerd

Über Member
OP, I don't think you're mad. I prefer winter cycling as well, I seem to get a greater sense of achievement and of course there's the "you must be mad cycling in this!" comments to make my day.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
You're not alone.

I also miss winter commuting. Being one of a few diehards, I always get space in the bike parking bay, no queuing in the showers and I can get changed without rubbing shoulders with others in the small changing room.

Don't miss the cold toes and fingers though.

Ste T. said:
Does anybody else really love winter commuting?
I don't know if I am a bit odd, but I really enjoy it. The worse the weather, the darker the night the better. As the fare weather cyclist, where I work, put them away for the winter and give me pitying looks,I love the challenge and look forward to my ride home even more. This years ice and snow was a joy to me and I'm looking forward to this winter hoping we get something like it again. It maybe because it's only 7 miles but a fast run home, jump in the shower and down stairs to my tea in front of a roaring fire sets me up for the night. Am I the only loon? :smile:

Maybe not the rain, but I am waiting for the dark... fun times :wacko: (granted my commute is mostly rural).

Snow would be fun as it's rare, cold is okay to keep you cool, rain is a pain if you are not prepared or its only a little bit and not enough to get your full wet weather kit on. Though I find "full kit" a pain and rather just use shorts, less wet trousers to deal with.

BADGER.BRAD said:
I can remember getting into work one snowy day this winter just gone ( I work for a local council) and the chap in the office saying If you can manage a trip from Wolverhampton to Dudley on a bicycle how come half of the others cannot make it from locally in a car ! !0 minutes later I was sent home but at least I had proved a point.

I reckon it's safer on a bike in the snow/ice anyway.
Fall off, knock a knee or something.
Or crash the car, into a wall, dent a few panels, maybe someone elses car, someone comes along and rear ends you, whiplash, etc etc.

User3143 said:
Love riding on the snow and ice with the trike, doing powerslides and donuts has never been so much fun.

That could almost convince me to get a trike :tongue:

DaleB

drsquirrel said:
I reckon it's safer on a bike in the snow/ice anyway.
Fall off, knock a knee or something.
Or crash the car, into a wall, dent a few panels, maybe someone elses car, someone comes along and rear ends you, whiplash, etc etc.

I've not yet commuted through winter - but will no doubt try in 6 months time... What do you suggest is safer in the snow and ice though:

- Road: where cars could lose control and skid into you
- Pavement: less risk of cars but one could always mount the pavement

:tongue:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
The main issue in snow and ice is avoiding falling off. The road is always better since they get gritted, or some of them do anyway. Fresh snow is relatively easy to ride in but compacted snow varies from slightly tricky to difficult, often manageable on MTB/ 'cross tyres with lower pressure. Studded tyres (tyres with metal studs embedded in the rubber) are the bollocks for riding on shiny compacted snow and ice.

Having three wheels would also be a considerable advantage.

DaleB said:
I've not yet commuted through winter - but will no doubt try in 6 months time... What do you suggest is safer in the snow and ice though:

- Road: where cars could lose control and skid into you
- Pavement: less risk of cars but one could always mount the pavement

:tongue:

I have to say, I don't commute in cities (few miles in a town a the end of my rural) so this doesn't worry me so much.

Though after trying to walk around town last winter, I actually found it safer to WALK ON THE ROAD because the pavements weren't maintained/cleared/etc. Many other people were doing the same.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I don't mind cycling in the cold, in the rain or in the dark. I absolutely loathe cycling when it's cold, raining and dark though! (I still do it though!)

Have commuted in snow on the racer and it's "interesting"!! Certainly keeps you awake!!

OP
OP
Ste T.

Ste T.

Guru
What brought it to mind was I was out on a ride yesterday and ran out of water miles from home. It was really warm and being a ginger I started to suffer. By the time I got home I had a bright red neck and a banging dehidration headache. As I sat under a tree with an ice cold drink, all I could think about was those lovely lovely cold nights

Top Bottom