low blood sugar - very scary

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not a mistake if you consider that I was dropping in on the way home from work. I work 50 miles from where I live, so that would have meant a 47mile walk, run or bike ride to the gym and in the circumstances almost certain death ;)

Speck

Oldest Teenager In Town
Optical migraine?

That's what my Doctor said I had, it was like looking through two kaleidoscopes!

Nope it was low blood sugar. Never had a migrane in my life.
And it was one giant flashy blob, rather than two...

Bizarre really - pretty much every week I go to the gym in the evening and have some food afterwards. The only thing I eat beforehand is a mid afternoon snack which is usually brazil nuts or almonds. I also have hardly any processed sugar in my diet. The one week I have processed sugar because I'm short of time I go hypo.

Best thing I've been doing since then is sleeping a lot and scoffing my face, which is a winning combination, ha ha.

TimO

Guru
I doubt it was the burst of sugar which caused the hypo, more that it's effects would have worn off long ago. You need something starchier to keep your blood sugar higher.

I can't say I've ever had the optical effects that you mention when hypo. The symptoms that Arch described, yes. Occasionally I've had almost tunnel vision, but no strange lighting effects. Those symptoms sound more migraine like (although not from personal experience).

Top Bottom