low blood sugar - very scary

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

Patrick Stevens said:
1. It's dangerous to eat and drive.
2. It stinks the car out.
3. They get cold quickly.
4. It's pretty manky behaviour and not the sort of thing that a lady like Kirstie would do.

1. Not if you do it properly and safely and always maintain concentration on the road. Not suggesting Kirstie didn't handle it well, but it's safer than passing out.
2. It may make it smell, but at least it's going to smell of nice things like chips.
3. Exactly - all the more reason to eat them while they're hot! That's the main reason for doing it...
4. Well, maybe...

bonj said:
1. Not if you do it properly and safely and always maintain concentration on the road. Not suggesting Kirstie didn't handle it well, but it's safer than passing out.
2. It may make it smell, but at least it's going to smell of nice things like chips.
3. Exactly - all the more reason to eat them while they're hot! That's the main reason for doing it...
4. Well, maybe...

1. Just like you do with your mobile phone while driving. A university lecturer went to prison for having an accident while eating sweets and driving.
2. Hands up all of you who like your car to smell of chips.
3. By all means scoff them in the street, but this is not the sort of chavvy thing that Kirstie would do.
4. Definitely.

LLB

You have described all the signs to a T of a diabetic in pre-coma stages.

You went hypo, you really did put yourself and others around you at risk (especially behind the wheel as you could have blacked out)

Don't eat processed sugars next time if you are going for a workout unless you are having some slower release carbs also like a sandwich.

Try flapjacks in between work and the gym next time.

twowheelsgood

Maltesers and jelly babies: No!

Try something like a flapjack an hour before. You'll get a small immeadiate boost from the sugar and the oats will break down progressively over the following hours.

LLB

My 'sensible advice' is to buy a box of individually wrapped flapjacks, and keep them in work, or in the car for such instances to give yourself a lift when you leave work !

bonj2

you don't need to buy flapjacks, it's fairly easy to make them (although i can't remember how.) reminds me actually i might make some soon.
you can then put what you want in them.

bonj said:
you don't need to buy flapjacks, it's fairly easy to make them (although i can't remember how.) reminds me actually i might make some soon.
you can then put what you want in them.

Pig's trotter, gherkin, pea and ham soup, lobster bisque?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Patrick Stevens said:
Pig's trotter, gherkin, pea and ham soup, lobster bisque?

Have you been looking in my fridge again?

Shamelessly hijacking the thread, I sometimes get a sensation I put down to blood sugar, but I'm not sure. A sort of empty, swimmy, shaky feeling - almost feverish sometimes, with a slight feeling of a temperature. I've never been able to pin it down to not eating (I always eat!), but if I get it, it's generally mid afternoon, and I find a biscuit, chocolate or even just a cup of tea seems to cure it - but that might be a placebo effect. It's not regular at all, just happens sometimes and not necessarily when I've gone without dinner for longer than normal or anything...

Laguerrera

Low Blood Sugar

As an insulin dependent diabetic, this sounds very like the symptoms of a hypo - very low blood sugar. In the past I have suffered the vision distortion and disorientation described, following exercise or missing a meal. Best action to resolve is a fast acting / absorbed glucose source such as Dextrosol or Lucozade tablets to feed the brain with glucose, followed by a slower absorbed carb intake eg a sandwich. The headache can occur due to the rapid recovery following glucose absorbtion, but overall a hypo is an unpleasant and startling experience - best avoided. I keep a packet of Dextrosol in the car, on the bike, in a coat pocket as a precaution.

LLB

Arch said:
Have you been looking in my fridge again?

Shamelessly hijacking the thread, I sometimes get a sensation I put down to blood sugar, but I'm not sure. A sort of empty, swimmy, shaky feeling - almost feverish sometimes, with a slight feeling of a temperature. I've never been able to pin it down to not eating (I always eat!), but if I get it, it's generally mid afternoon, and I find a biscuit, chocolate or even just a cup of tea seems to cure it - but that might be a placebo effect. It's not regular at all, just happens sometimes and not necessarily when I've gone without dinner for longer than normal or anything...

This is known as a false hypo, you feel the relative changes in sugar levels without going hypo proper (so my doc says)

If you are used to running with higher levels due to a sweet tooth, you can run at 7s or higher and feel perfectly ok even though the healthy range is between 4.0 and 6.9 (7.0) and a true hypo is 3.0 or below

Top Bottom